Usopp (ウソップ) is an African character and a young boy who aspires to become a brave warrior of the sea and sets sail on the Grand Line to the New World with his friends to fight on the seas and prove his worth as a Sniper and a well-known pirate like his father. Usopp was created by the editor and author/mangaka Eiichiro Oda and the anime was adapted by Toei Animation.
Usopp, also known as God Usopp, was born on April 1 i.e. April Fool’s Day (age 17 years old, pre-time skip; 19 years old, post-time skip) in Syrup Village, Gecko Island in East Blue. His zodiac sign is Aries. His blood type is S. Usopp’s father a well-renowned pirate in the world and Usopp wishes to be a brave warrior of the sea and meet his father. His village was rescued by Luffy and Zoro when pirates attacked, and then he decided to set sail with Luffy to work as a Sniper of the Straw Hat Crew.
Height (approx): 5’9″(post-time skip)
Weight: 66 kg
Eye Color: Black
Hair Color: Black
Built: Skinny muscular
Special Features: Long nose, Curly hair
Usopp has always been a liar and a coward who likes to brag about his lies and how he does inhuman feats and is well known among the pirates. He is scared of everything and keeps running away from all fights and major decisions, which causes him to always be someone creating a burden on other people. He has an extraordinary level of confidence and belief in himself as he considers himself to be a self-proclaimed hero. His MBTI personality is ENTP, people with such personalities are considered to have great mental agility and a tendency to deconstruct and reconstruct ideas in a bold and creative manner. They persistently pursue their objectives, even in the face of obstacles or opposition.
Fighting Skills: 5/10
Leadership Quality: 1/10
Bounty: 500 Million berries (Post Wano Arc)
Usopp was born and raised in the Syrup Village by his mother Banchina who died of an illness when Usopp was young. His father Yasopp, was never there for him and worked as the Sniper in Red Hair Pirates Crew (Akagami kaizoku-dan).
In the Film Red, Usopp and Yasopp are shown to be working together for the first time and make a tag team to help their respective captains in the fight.
Relationships and Affairs
Usopp spent his childhood telling his tales of adventure to Kaya, a girl from Syrup Village who was fond of Usopp and his stories of courage. Usopp saved her from a pirate name Captain Kuro who was planning to kill her and steal all the wealth. She thanked him by giving the ship “The Going Merry”. She admires Usopp and awaits his return to the village so they can both reunite.
Usopp met Monkey D Luffy in Syrup Village where Luffy asked him to join his crew and Usopp agreed and decided to go on an adventure in the Going Merry with Luffy. They both are like brothers and enjoy spending time goofing around and having fun. During the Enies Lobby Arc, Luffy and Usopp had a death battle in which Usopp lost and had to apologize in order to rejoin the crew.
Roronoa Zoro is like an elder brother to Usopp and protects him when needed. Usopp admires Zoro’s strength and hard work and relies on him in every problem by covering himself behind Zoro. Usopp has been saved countless times by Zoro and in return he makes sure that Zoro does not get lost.
Nami is Usopp’s best friend and both of them are the weakest and the most cowardly members of the StrawHat Crew. Usopp created Nami’s weapon and helps her in stopping Luffy from doing something to get them in trouble. Both of them form a strong team together but prefer to hide behind others to get help or luck to save them.
Sanji and Usopp initially did not like each other but later on, both formed a good bond and Sanji almost got himself saving Usopp many times. Both of them like to party and enjoy food together but also keep arguing over small things throughout the series.
Tony Tony Chopper is a big fan of Usopp and all his lies and believes in them without any doubt. They both love and care for each other like brothers. Chopper does not know that Usopp is the Sogeking and keeps asking Usopp to meet him so that he can take an autograph.
Nico Robin is the only person in the Straw Hat Crew who scares Usopp with her dark and negative thinking. Usopp thinks of her as an elder sister and took the challenge to face of challenging the World Government by burning their flag and declaring war on them and saving Robin from execution.
Usopp met Franky at Water Seven where Franky almost killed him and stole all the money he had. But after the events of Enies Lobby, both of them became friends and sail the new ship made by Franky called the Thousand Sunny. Usopp loves the work of Franky and tries to make tools and weapons just as good.
Usopp was close to the ship Kaya gave to him called the Going Merry which had a spirit of its own. Usopp used to take care of the ship with all his heart and the spirit thanked him while saying its final goodbye. This made Usopp cry a lot and he bid her farewell in Viking traditions.
Usopp’s encounter with the two giants Dory and Brogy, greatly influenced his dream of becoming a powerful warrior of the sea by training with them in the land of Elbaf. He considered them to be heroes, and their personal battles deeply touched him when they first met. They developed a close bond with Usopp and eventually aided him and the Straw Hats to depart from the island.
Tontatta Kingdom and the members of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet consider Usopp to be a “God” and the strongest member of the Straw Hat Crew. The dwarves worship Usopp in the belief of him being a descendant of Noland and the one who saved Dressrosa from the rule of Donquixote Doflamingo.
Usopp is supposedly an Aethist and due to his fame in Dressrosa, he was called God Usopp which dint mean anything to him but the burden of getting a target on his back.
Since a young age, Usopp has always been lying about everything to people around him including his tales of bravery and adventure. He joined the crew of Straw Hats as the fourth member and became the Sniper of the crew. He hid his identity during Enies Lobby by wearing a mask and referring to himself as Soge King (Sniper King). Over the years he has proved to never miss any target and keeps improving as a Sniper, Painter, Architect, and Engineer of the crew.
During his 2 year training at the Boin Archipelago, he learned a lot about plants and weapons that can be used in his slingshot to get more strong. He also unlocked the abilities of Advanced Observation Haki while on Dressrosa and saved the whole country from the curse of toys inflicted by Sugar. He has fought various powerful foes such as Perona, Merry Christmas/Mr.4, Sugar, Chew (Arlong Pirates), and Captain Kuro. He has also been able to fight and survive against various people during the Onigashima War.
One Piece (ワンピース Wan Pisu) is an animated series based on the manga One Piece by Eiichiro Oda, produced by Toei Animation and had its first broadcast by Fuji Television on 20 October 1999. In 2004, the company 4Kids Animation acquired the rights to Dub and provide One Piece for the English dub audience. Usopp first appeared in the Anime Episode 8: Who Gets the Last Laugh?
The One Piece manga was written and illustrated by Eiichiro Oda as his first big manga series. One Piece has been serialized by Shueisha in the shonen jump manga collection, Weekly Shonen Jump on July 22, 1997. Usopp made his debut in Chapter 23: The Dread Captain Usopp.
The first One Piece movie was launched on March 4, 2004, and was produced by Toei Animation. To date, One Piece has 15 Movies in total with “Film Red” being the latest in addition. The movie 6 “Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island” was an experimental movie with the first time having a CGI version of the anime.
List of all One Piece movies:
- One Piece: The Movie (2000)
- One Piece: Clockwork Island Adventure (2001)
- One Piece: Chopper’s Kingdom on the Island of Strange Animals (2002)
- One Piece: Dead End Adventure (2003)
- The Cursed Holy Sword (2004)
- One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (2005)
- One Piece: The Giant Mechanical Soldier of Karakuri Castle (2006)
- One Piece – Episode of Arabasta: The Desert Princess and the Pirates (2007)
- One Piece – Episode of Chopper Plus: Bloom in Winter, Miracle Sakura (2008)
- One Piece Film: Strong World (2009)
- One Piece 3D: Straw Hat Chase (2011)
- One Piece Film: Z (2012)
- One Piece Film: Gold (2016)
- One Piece: Stampede (2019)
- One Piece Film: Red (2022)
The first One Piece game was released in Japan on the console of WonderSwan in 2000 July- Become the Pirate King! (めざせ海賊王！ Mezase Kaizoku-Ō!) – Bandai. Over the years, multiple games have been released on various platforms such as Gameboy, Nintendo, Play Station, Mobile Phones, etc. List of Top One Piece Games:
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors
- One Piece: World Seeker
- One Piece: Unlimited Adventure
- One Piece: Burning Blood
- One Piece: Grand Battle
- One Piece: Grand Adventure
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2
- One Piece Treasure Cruise
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
- One Piece Odyssey
Live Shows and Performances
One Piece shows have been a great tourist attraction and were taking place in the One Piece Tower in Tokyo, Japan since 2015 and lasted till 2020 when the Tower was closed. The show involves various actors in cosplay to perform various scenes from the One Piece show.
TV Drama/Web Series
The One Piece series will be released on Netflix in 2023. Usopp will be played by the actor Jacob Romero Gibson. The show is developed by Matt Owens and Steven Maeda and produced by Tomorrow Studios and Shueisha.
Portrayed and Voiced By
Mitsuo Yamaguchi (山口 光雄) was the Japanese Voice actor for Usopp and various other minor characters in One Piece Anime.
Sonny Strait, Chuck Powers, and Jason Griffith (4kids version). In the fall of 2023, Jacob Romero will portray Usopp in Netflix live-action series.
In Seong O
Powers and Abilities
Usopp is highly talented in crafting and experimenting with various weapons that have long and short ranges which help him in combat.
Usopp has been able to awaken the Kenbunshoku Haki (observation haki) in order to save Luffy and Law from Sugar who was about to turn them into toys. He was able to look through the walls and sense the presence of all the people and make his aim.
During the series, Usopp created a ton of different weapons to be used in combat for Nami and himself. He crafted the Clima-Tact and the Kabuto which became the signature weapons of Usopp and Nami. He also created various gadgets such as belts with grappling hooks, Octopakutsu (sticky shoes),
Usopp Pound Hammers
Usopp uses hammers with massive sizes to hit his enemies and make them afraid of the heavyweights of the hammer such as it being 5 Ton and 10 Ton Hammer. This damages his enemies mentally by thinking him to be really strong to lift such a heavy weight.
Slingshot (Ginga Pachinko)
The primary weapon Usopp used for combat is called the Ginga Pachinko which was his first weapon in the story and he primarily uses it with various attacks to hit an enemy from long range and avoid getting hit. He uses a combination of attacks that involve shooting gunpowder-filled fireballs, eggs, metal balls/pins, exploding fire stars, or Tabasco-filled balls.
While disguising himself as the Soge King, a new weapon was introduced by Usopp called the Kabuto. It was a bigger version of a slingshot that gave him stability and a longer range of attacks while allowing him to use various attacks such as Fire Bird Star, Smoke Balls, and Metallic Star Balls.
After training for 2 years in Boin Archipelago, Usopp started a new and better version of the Kabuto called Kuro Kabuto which was black in color and could expand after drinking water. It used various attacks from special seeds and plant weapons he collected while being on the Island and grows them on the ship by himself.
Plant Seeds and Pop Seeds
Usopp studied and made use of a variety of seeds and plants which he obtained from the Boin Archipelago and are highly effective in combat. They involve a variety of green pops that he uses to create attacking plants such as Impact Wolf, Trampolia, Bagworms, Devil Plant, Green Star: Rafflesia, and other exploding/poping attacks.
Cowardly Behaviors and Unreliable
Some fans have criticized Usopp for being weak or cowardly, especially in comparison to the other members of the Straw Hat crew. However, others argue that Usopp’s struggles with fear and insecurity make him a relatable and compelling character.
Annoying Lies and Tales of Bravery
There have been some debates among fans about whether Usopp’s lies and tall tales are annoying or endearing. While some enjoy his humorous exaggerations, others find them tiresome and detract from the story.
Is Usopp’s character racially discriminated against?
There has been some discussion about whether Usopp’s character design is racially insensitive. Usopp is known for his long nose, which some have argued perpetuates a stereotype of Jews and other ethnic groups. However, creator Eiichiro Oda has stated that the design is based on a character from a Japanese folklore tale.
Awards and Honours
- Global Awards for Best-Selling Manga- Best-Selling Manga Series
- Anime Awards (2022)– Most Viewed Series of All Time
- 46th Japan Anime Awards (2023)– Best animation category
- Food: Pike and Fish
- Hobby: Crafting
- Crew Member: Luffy
- Color: Yellow
- Numbers: 04
Facts and Trivia
- Usopp is also known by various names such as Uso-Hachi, Captain Usopp, SogeKing, Sniper King, Toad Oil Salesman, Usoland, False Captain of Strawhat Crew, and God Usopp.
- Oda named Usopp based on his trait of being a liar as “uso” in Japanese means “Lie” and his birthday was set to be on April 1, April Fool’s Day.
- Usopp has never met his father, Yasopp, and only in One Piece: Film Red, he is able to link with him using his Observation Haki.
- The nose and look of Usopp have been inspired by the famous story of Pinocchio and his lying habits.
- Usopp’s Road to Sogeking,” an exhibit at the Tokyo One Piece Tower, focuses on the sniper, and a statue of Usopp is included in the Straw Hat Crew’s Great Feast display. Additionally, Usopp is prominently featured in numerous Tokyo One Piece Tower special animations and stage performances
- A bronze statue of Usopp was made in the town of Aso, Kumamoto for the commencement of the Kumamoto Revival Project.
- In “Kyutai Panic Adventure!,” a crossover event where Frieza attacks Odaiba, Usopp makes an appearance alongside the Straw Hat Pirates who come to assist Goku. However, they are forced to battle the Arlong Pirates also. Similarly, in “Kyutai Panic Adventure Returns!,” when Enel attacks Tokyo and Odaiba, Usopp is also featured.
- As a desire to always be the captain, Usopp has made his personal Jolly Roger which he wants to use as the jolly roger of the Straw Hat Crew. He made one when Luffy asked him to make it for everyone and changed it post-time skip, involving the Kabuto in the background.
- He wanted to be known as a famous Straw Hat pirate, for which he entered the first wanted posters of Luffy and Zoro. He can be seen in a small part of the wanted poster but his face is not visible in both of them.
- It is possible that Usopp’s name is derived from “Isoppu,” the Japanese pronunciation of Aesop, the ancient Greek storyteller. The name “Usopp” is a combination of “uso,” meaning “lie” in Japanese, and “Isopp,” highlighting Usopp’s dual identity as both a liar and a storyteller. In addition, Usopp’s name is also a pun in Japanese, as saying “Ore wa Usopp!” can mean both “I am Usopp!” and “I am a lie!”.
- Many of the false tales he used to tell Kaya back in the village actually came true and Oda foreshadowed all his stories throughout the series.
- Along with Sanji and Luffy, Usopp has never fallen ill in his life and ironically his mother died of sickness.
- During the 6th Fan Poll of Japan, Usopp was Ranked 15 among the most popular One Piece characters.
- Usopp has the 4th Longest Nose in the series and is longer than Kaku’s nose.
- As a weapon maker, Usopp usually smells like gunpowder and takes a bath once every 3 days.
- If Usopp wouldn’t have been in the One Piece World, he would have been a successful graphic designer.
- The Poke Poke no Mi (Pocket Pocket Fruit) is the perfect devil fruit for Usopp, which will allow him to carry an unlimited arsenal in his unlimited pockets.
- Apart from the long nose which looks like his mother’s, Usopp has a similar resemblance to his father, Yasopp.
- During the 2-year time skip, Usopp gained an extreme amount of weight and become almost triple the size of his normal self. But after training, he came out to be the most drastically changed character with a muscular physique and long black hair.