Hiruzen Sarutobi is a Japanese fictional character, the Third Hokage of Konoha Village, the mentor of the Fifth Hokage, and a student of the Second Hokage in the Naruto series.
Hiruzen Sarutobi was born on Febuary 8 (age 68-69 years). His blood group is A, and his zodiac sign is Aquarius. Hiruzen, along with Homura Mitokado and Koharu Utatane, belonged to the first generation of ninjas from Konoha. They were placed under the guidance of Tobirama Senju for their training. Hiruzen’s exceptional talent in the ninja arts was evident from an early age, which led him to receive additional training directly from Hashirama Senju, the First Hokage. This additional mentorship from Hashirama further honed Hiruzen’s skills and abilities.
Hair Colour: White
Eye Colour: Brown
Hiruzen belongs to the Sarutobi Clan, one of the first clans to establish themselves in the newly founded Konohagakure.
Parents & Siblings
Sasuke Sarutobi, a master of all five Chakra Nature, is the father of Hiruzen. There’s no canon information given in the anime/manga about his mother.
Wife & Children
Hiruzen married Biwako Sarutobi, who later became one of the advisors of Hidden Leaf Village.
Hiruzen, at some point, became the father of Asuma Sarutobi.
He was also the father of at least one more child, who died when the Nine-Tails Fox infiltrated Konoha. There’s no information available regarding his second child. But we know that this unknown second child gave Hiruzen a grandson, whose name is Konohamaru.
Love Interest – Girlfriends
The past life of the Third Hokage hasn’t been much explored in the Naruto series. So, fans may never know if he loved any girl or was loved by any girl besides his wife during his youth.
Under the tutelage of the Second Hokage, Tobirama Senju, Hiruzen developed a deep understanding of the village’s traditions and values. During the First Shinobi World War, Tobirama, before sacrificing himself, chose Hiruzen Sarutobi as his successor and the Third Hokage of Konohagakure.
Following this, Hiruzen took on the responsibility of leading his own team of fresh Academy graduates, which included Jiraiya, Orochimaru, and Tsunade. While Hiruzen held affection for all of his students, he held high expectations for Orochimaru.
During his time as Hokage, Hiruzen faced numerous challenges, including the threat posed by Orochimaru, one of his former students. Despite these challenges, Hiruzen served as a wise and compassionate leader, dedicated to protecting Konohagakure and its people. His reign as the Third Hokage spanned many years, during which he guided the village through times of war and peace. Hiruzen was renowned for his immense knowledge of ninja techniques and his ability to make wise decisions in critical situations. His legacy as a leader and his commitment to the village earned him respect from both his allies and enemies. He was revered as one of the most influential and powerful shinobi of his time.
Hiruzen Sarutobi’s character in Naruto drew inspiration from the Chinese literary classic, Journey to the West. His summon, Enma, bears a striking resemblance to Sun Wukong (孫悟空, Son Gokū), the main character of the novel. Additionally, Hiruzen’s weapon of choice, a magical staff, is identical to the Monkey King’s staff in the story. These elements were borrowed to add depth and references to Hiruzen’s character in Naruto.
Masashi Kishimoto, the creator of the Naruto series, is the person behind the creation of Hiruzen Sarutobi. Kishimoto envisioned Hiruzen as a wise and experienced leader who would serve as a mentor and guide to the young protagonists of the story. He wanted Hiruzen to symbolize the wisdom and strength of the older generation. Throughout the series, Kishimoto carefully revealed Hiruzen’s backstory and explored his relationships with other characters. Kishimoto’s storytelling allowed readers/viewers to understand the weight of Hiruzen’s responsibilities and the sacrifices he had made for the village.
A Mentor Of The Konoha’s Young Generation.
Masashi Kishimoto carefully developed and shaped the character of Hiruzen Sarutobi in the Naruto series. Kishimoto aimed to create a character who embodied the wisdom and experience of a respected leader. To shape Hiruzen’s character, Kishimoto incorporated several key attributes. Firstly, he emphasized Hiruzen’s advanced age and extensive experience as a shinobi, portraying him as a professional with a deep understanding of the ninja world. This allowed Hiruzen to serve as a mentor and guide to the younger generation of shinobi, including Naruto and his teammates.
A Strong And Selfless Individual
Kishimoto also portrayed Hiruzen as a strong and skilled fighter. He showcased Hiruzen’s mastery of various ninja techniques and his ability to hold his ground against highly skilled foes. This highlighted his capabilities as a powerful Hokage and a protector of the village. Additionally, Kishimoto portrayed Hiruzen as a compassionate and selfless individual. Despite his immense power, Hiruzen prioritized the well-being of the village and its inhabitants above all else. He was willing to make difficult decisions and sacrifices for the greater good.
Possessed Complex Dynamics With Disciples
Furthermore, Kishimoto explored the complexities of Hiruzen’s character by paying attention to his personal relationships. He showcased Hiruzen’s deep bond with his students, including Orochimaru, Jiraiya, and Tsunade, and how their choices impacted his life and leadership. This added depth to Hiruzen’s character, revealing his vulnerabilities and the weight of his responsibilities.
A Lively Figure Of The Naruto Series
Overall, Masashi Kishimoto developed Hiruzen Sarutobi as a multidimensional character with wisdom, strength, compassion, and complexity. Through careful storytelling and character exploration, Kishimoto brought Hiruzen to life, making him an integral part of the Naruto series and leaving a lasting impression on fans.
One of Hiruzen’s primary missions was to maintain peace and protect the village from external threats. He faced numerous challenges, including conflicts with other villages and rogue ninjas. Hiruzen showed his strategic prowess by making critical decisions and leading the village’s forces in battles.
At some point, Hiruzen Sarutobi became concerned about a series of mysterious disappearances occurring in Konoha. In the anime, he pursued a lead given by Kakashi Hatake. By following the lead, he uncovered the shocking truth that Orochimaru was responsible for these incidents. Hiruzen was deeply troubled by Orochimaru’s actions. He sought to bring Orochimaru to the right path, but Orochimaru couldn’t see beyond his dreams.
After the disbandment of Team Hiruzen, Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru went their separate ways, pursuing their own paths. Meanwhile, Hiruzen Sarutobi, as the Third Hokage, was searching for a suitable successor to inherit the position of Hokage. During this time, he provided guidance and support to Minato Namikaze, who would eventually become the Fourth Hokage. Hiruzen shared his wisdom and advised Minato on various matters, including how to handle individuals and handle village affairs, assisting in a smooth transition of power within Konoha.
Another crucial aspect of Hiruzen’s story was his role as a mentor to the younger generation of shinobi, particularly Team 7, consisting of Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, and Sakura Haruno. He guided them on their path to becoming skilled ninjas, imparting wisdom and sharing his experiences to help them grow.
Hiruzen Vs Orochimaru
The battle between Orochimaru and Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, was a clash of master and student. Orochimaru, a former member of the Hidden Leaf Village, sought to take revenge and gain power, while Hiruzen aimed to protect the village and stop his former disciple’s destructive path. In this fight, Orochimaru unleashed his sinister techniques. Hiruzen, despite his old age, displayed incredible skill and mastery of various jutsu. He used his extensive knowledge to counter Orochimaru’s attacks. Orochimaru, known for his cunning and unorthodox methods, attempted to overpower Hiruzen with his deadly techniques and summoned creatures. However, Hiruzen proved to be a powerful opponent, countering Orochimaru’s moves with precise and powerful strikes. As the battle intensified, both combatants revealed their true strengths. Hiruzen, utilizing the Shadow Clone technique, engaged in a fierce exchange of blows with Orochimaru. The clash between their jutsu created an intense spectacle. In a final act of sacrifice, Hiruzen unleashed the Dead Demon Consuming Seal, a forbidden sealing jutsu, to seal away Orochimaru’s arms. Although Hiruzen lost his life in this battle, he succeded in putting an end to Orochimaru’s plan of destroying Konoha.
Hiruzen Vs First & Second Hokage
Orochimaru used the forbidden jutsu known as Edo Tensei to summon the First and Second Hokage, Hashirama and Tobirama, from the dead. However, Orochimaru placed restrictions on their personalities using special tags. As a result, the two Hokage were forced to battle against the Third Hokage, despite their unwillingness. Although the resurrected bodies possessed infinite chakra and regenerative abilities, their power was reduced to only 20% of their full potential. Despite being outnumbered, Hiruzen displayed his exceptional mastery of all five Chakra Natures and engaged in a challenging battle. Knowing that the resurrected bodies were immortal, Hiruzen used the Ripper Seal Technique to extract their souls. Consequently, both bodies disintegrated into ashes and fell to the ground.
Third Hokage Vs Madara Uchiha
Hiruzen faced off against the legendary Uchiha warrior, Madara Uchiha, who had returned to life with immense power. His expertise provided immense help to Allied Shinobi Forces.
Third Hokage Vs Obito Uchiha
Hiruzen also confronted Obito Uchiha, a former comrade who had become one of the main antagonists during the war. In a battle of wits and strength, Hiruzen used his extensive knowledge of jutsu to counter Obito’s powerful techniques and contribute to the efforts of the Allied Shinobi Forces.
- Leadership During the Third Great Ninja War: Hiruzen possesses exceptional leadership skills, which was evident during the Third Great Ninja War. He effectively organizes the Allied Shinobi Forces, leading them to victory against the opposing forces.
- Training the Sannin: Hiruzen acts as the mentor to the legendary Sannin: Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Orochimaru. He guides and trains them, shaping them into highly skilled and influential shinobi. His contributions to their development have a lasting impact on their abilities and roles within the series.
- Sacrifice Against Orochimaru: In his final battle against Orochimaru, Hiruzen selflessly puts his life on the line to protect the village. Despite his old age, he fights bravely and manages to seal Orochimaru’s arms, limiting his ability to perform jutsu and curbing his threat to the village.
- The Uchiha Clan Massacre: One of Hiruzen’s most significant failures was his inability to prevent the Uchiha Clan Massacre. He failed to address the underlying grievances of the Uchiha and the growing hatred within the clan. This failure resulted in the tragedy of the Uchiha Clan Massacre and the loss of many innocent lives.
- Inability to Stop Orochimaru’s Actions: Hiruzen, despite his knowledge of Orochimaru’s dangerous experiments and ambitions, was unable to fully put a stop to his former student’s actions. Orochimaru continues to conduct his forbidden experiments and create chaos within the Hidden Leaf Village and the wider shinobi world.
- Lack of a Clear Successor: Hiruzen faces challenges in selecting a suitable successor as the Fourth Hokage, following Minato Namikaze’s death. This failure to secure a stable succession plan for the village leaves Konoha vulnerable and leads to the temporary instability of leadership.
Hiruzen had a strong opponent in Orochimaru, who was once his student. Orochimaru’s desire for power and his path toward evil led to a dangerous confrontation with Hiruzen. As the Third Hokage, it was Hiruzen’s duty to put a stop to Orochimaru’s destructive plans.
Hiruzen and Danzo had a complicated relationship. At first, they both wanted to protect Konoha, but they often disagreed because of their different ways of thinking. Danzo’s secret actions and desire for power caused conflict between them. Hiruzen worked to keep the village balanced and stable despite their differences.
Koharu was a loyal friend and ally of Hiruzen, serving as a council member and advisor to the Hokage. They shared a strong bond and worked closely together to make important decisions for the village.
Homura was another trusted friend and council member who stood by Hiruzen’s side. Together, they faced the challenges of governing Konoha and ensuring the village’s safety.
The Legendary Sannin (Jiraiya, Tsunade, Orochimaru)
Hiruzen had a deep connection with the Legendary Sannin. They were his former students and became renowned shinobi in their own right. Despite their differences and diverging paths, Hiruzen maintained a special bond with each of them, especially Jiraiya and Tsunade.
Kakashi, a highly skilled Jonin and later the Sixth Hokage, had a strong bond with Hiruzen. Hiruzen served as a mentor figure to Kakashi, guiding him in his development as a ninja and entrusting him with important missions.
Asuma, Hiruzen’s son and a Jonin of Konoha, shared a familial connection with Hiruzen. They had a close relationship and Asuma looked up to his father as a role model.
Hiruzen was an important figure in Naruto’s life, guiding his progress as a ninja. Despite the obstacles they encountered, Hiruzen recognized Naruto’s potential and had faith in him as the chosen one. He stood by Naruto’s side and provided guidance throughout his adventures.
Younger Generations Of Konoha
Hiruzen had a friendly bond with the younger generation of Konoha, such as Sakura Haruno, Sasuke Uchiha, and Shikamaru Nara. Although he didn’t have extensive interactions with them, Hiruzen fostered a sense of unity and friendship with the youth of his village.
Hiruzen’s MBTI personality style is ESFJ. Hiruzen strongly believes in the Will of Fire, which emphasizes the unity and well-being of the people of Konoha, with the Hokage taking responsibility for their welfare. During his leadership, Hiruzen upholds the Will of Fire by making decisions that benefit as many people as possible, and offering his wisdom and guidance whenever needed. While some consider him soft, his compassionate and peace-loving approach is highly regarded by the residents of Konoha and even other Kage. Hiruzen’s son, Asuma, initially challenges his father’s philosophies but eventually comes to appreciate the value of prioritizing future generations after Hiruzen’s passing. However, the Konoha Council seeks to address this perception. Hiruzen allows Danzō to form an Anbu group to handle the darker aspects of the village’s actions, showing that he is not entirely without resolve.
Despite his role and obligations, Hiruzen has a somewhat perverted side. He shows interest in Jiraiya’s peeping on naked women. He falls prey to Naruto’s Sexy Technique multiple times. Talking to young girls becomes his favorite “hobby.”
While Hiruzen cares deeply for all of Konoha, he holds a special affection for his students, believing they are the future of the village and should be nurtured and protected. He particularly favors Orochimaru, seeing him as a prodigy similar to himself, with the potential to contribute even more to the village. Even as Orochimaru deflects from the right path and eventually abandons Konoha, Hiruzen cannot let go of his attachment to him and blames himself for not being a better teacher. He also feels responsible for Danzō’s embrace of darkness.
Emotional Strength: 9/10
Social Skills: 10/10
During the First Shinobi World War, Hiruzen wore a grey shinobi battle armor typical of that era, providing substantial protection to his entire body.
However, he later transitioned to lighter combat attire, opting for a black jumpsuit with mesh segments on his lower limbs. His right arm was covered by a green gauntlet, and he wore an armored hood along with a forehead protector resembling a bandanna, secured by two long straps. On the back of his attire, it was inscribed with “Third Hokage,” although during a short retirement period, it was replaced with the kanji for “fire” (火, hi).
When not engaged in combat, Hiruzen typically wore the official uniform, which consisted of a customary hat, a haori, and a red, full-length kimono fastened by a white sash. During his leisure time, he often indulged in smoking.
Hiruzen was extremely talented and considered a legendary shinobi, often referred to as the “God of Shinobi”. He became Hokage at a young age, chosen directly by the Second Hokage. Among his clan, he was the strongest shinobi, and during his lifetime, he was known as the most powerful Kage.
Master Of All Five Chakra Nature Transformations
Hiruzen was known for an exceptional mastery of all five basic nature transformations. Additionally, he had the ability to utilize Yin and Yang Release. His skill was such that he could block an opponent’s elemental attack with the opposing nature transformation to maintain balance. For instance, he could unleash a stream of fire using Fire Release, and in the anime, he could unleash a barrage of smaller fire blasts. With Earth Release, he could create a sturdy mud wall for defense. In the anime, he could generate a rushing river of mud to knock opponents off their feet. Also, he was capable of shaping the mud into a dragon head to launch a volley of mud balls, which could be infused with flames for added damage. Similarly, he could produce powerful streams of Lightning, Water, and Wind Release, each with its own unique attributes and capabilities.
Excelled In Taijutsu
Hiruzen was highly skilled in close-quarters combat, displaying great agility and precision in his strikes. His mastery of taijutsu allowed him to hold his ground against powerful opponents.
An Experienced And Wise Shinobi
Hiruzen’s greatest strength lay in his extensive knowledge and wisdom, which he had gained through years of experience. He had a profound understanding of different jutsu, strategic approaches, and the history of Konoha. He had the remarkable ability to quickly deduce the nature of an upcoming technique just by observing the hand seals. Even when faced with something unfamiliar, like the Truth-Seeking Balls, he could tell their properties and limitations with a brief observation.
Fire Style: Dragon Flame Bomb
Hiruzen possessed a powerful jutsu called Fire Style: Dragon Flame Bomb. By manipulating their chakra, the user breathes out a flaming dragon from their mouth. This dragon is incredibly destructive, and hence, it requires great power, and only three shinobi, including Hiruzen, are capable of using it. During the Konoha Crush, while fighting against Orochimaru and the reanimated Hashirama and Tobirama Senju, Hiruzen unleashed the Fire Style: Dragon Flame Bomb to annihilate their attacks.
Water Style: Water Dragon Jutsu
By utilizing any nearby water source, the user can create a dragon-like figure that crashes into the target, inflicting significant physical damage. This Jutsu is known for its complexity, requiring forty-four hand seals to perform, which is the highest number observed for a single jutsu. Hiruzen’s ability to master this technique at the same level as Tobirama Senju showcases his proficiency in all five Elemental Releases.
Earth Style: Mud Wall
Hiruzen, being a Kage-level shinobi, had the ability to construct massive structures, even entire mountains, by using a substantial amount of chakra. His Mud Wall was so solid that it could withstand powerful water-based attacks, such as Tobirama Senju’s Surging Wave, which possessed the force of a tsunami wave.
Shadow Clone Jutsu
The Shadow Clone Jutsu, created by Tobirama, divides a user’s chakra to generate multiple identical clones. These clones possess independent consciousness and can perform jutsu as well as communicate with the original user. Shinobi with massive chakra reserves can execute the more advanced Multi Shadow Clone jutsu, which produces a greater number of clones compared to the original technique.
Fire Style: Fire Dragon Bullet
Hiruzen Sarutobi developed the Fire Style: Fire Dragon Bullet technique by merging his powerful Fire Dragon jutsu with the Earth Dragon Bullet technique. This combined attack involved launching hardened projectiles using the Earth Dragon Bullet and then igniting them with the Fire Release: Fire Dragon Jutsu. Hiruzen performed this technique against Orochimaru and the Reanimated Hokage. Following Hiruzen’s death, his grandson Konohamaru continued his legacy by mastering this technique.
Four Red Yang Formation
The Four Red Yang Formation is an advanced sealing jutsu that can only be performed by highly skilled shinobi, particularly those of Kage level. It involves four shinobi taking a square formation and performing the necessary hand signs to create a large, red barrier. This barrier is flexible, stretchable, and incredibly durable. It demonstrated its strength by successfully containing the Ten Tails’ powerful Tailed Beast Ball. When Orochimaru resurrected Hiruzen, he joined the other previous Hokage to create the Four Red Yang Barrier as a defensive measure.
Reaper Death Seal
The Reaper Death Seal is a powerful jutsu that involves summoning a Shinigami, a death god, through hand seals. After being summoned, the Shinigami enters the mortal world through the user’s soul using it as a medium. By extending its hand, the shinigami can grasp and extract the soul of the intended target. This technique is considered a last resort because it comes at a great cost: the shinigami also consumes the user’s soul. Hiruzen, with the help of Shadow Clones, successfully utilized the Reaper Death Seal to defeat Hashirama and Tobirama Senju, while also sealing Orochimaru’s arms as well.
By using a special seal, members of the Sarutobi clan, like Hiruzen, could summon ninja monkeys to assist them in combat. These monkeys were not ordinary, as they possessed great strength, extensive experience, and vast knowledge. They even had the ability to transform into an unbreakable Adamantine Staff. Hiruzen’s personal summon was Enma, the Monkey King. Together, they shared many experiences, such as uncovering Orochimaru’s forbidden experiments, witnessing the Nine-Tails attack, and completing higher rank missions. Enma was also by Hiruzen’s side during his final battle against Orochimaru.
- Hiruzen was skilled in different types of elemental styles such as fire, earth, and water. This meant he could use various techniques depending on the situation and effectively counter his opponents.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi, as the Third Hokage, had extensive knowledge and experience. He possessed a deep understanding of various jutsu, tactics, and strategies used in combat.
As an older shinobi, Hiruzen’s physical abilities and stamina were not as impressive as they once were. His age limited his overall endurance and speed, making it harder for him to keep up with younger and more flexible enemies.
Hiruzen was skilled in using shuriken during combat, including both regular-sized shuriken and larger fūma shuriken. With the Shuriken Shadow Clone Technique, he could create multiple copies of these shurikens. Additionally, in the anime, Hiruzen was seen using objects from his surroundings, such as roof tiles, as shuriken.
Hiruzen had a summoning companion named Enma, who had the ability to transform into a staff. This weapon was as hard as a diamond and could be extended or expanded as needed. Hiruzen was highly skilled in wielding this staff. However, as he grew older, the weight of the staff became more challenging for him to handle.
Summoning Enma for assistance in combat was Hiruzen’s signature move.
Appearances in Popular Media
Hiruzen debuts in Naruto with episode 1.
Hiruzen made his appearance in Naruto manga in chapter 1.
Hiruzen appears in Itachi Shiden: Book of Bright Light.
Fans can explore the powers of Hiruzen through the following Naruto games.
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 (2016)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (2013)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja 5 (2007)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (2012)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (2014)
Hiruzen made a very small appearance in Hidden Leaf Village Grand Sports Festival.
Hiruzen is featured in Naruto: Innocent Heart, Demonic Blood.
Hidekatsu Shibata and Keisuke Fujii are the voice actors behind the Japanese voice of Hiruzen. Steve Kramer dubbed the English version of this character.
Italian: Mario Scarabelli
Hungarian: Ottó Szokolai
German: Wolf Frass
Portuguese (BR): Luiz Antônio Lobue, Hélio Vaccari
French: Jean-Paul Landresse
Spanish: Gabriel Pingarrón
Food: Hijiki and Sardine Fish Balls
Weapon: Enma’s Magical Staff
Phrase: Absolute Truth
Hobby: Chatting With Young Girls
During the battle against Orochimaru, Hiruzen creates two shadow clones to capture the two Hokage. He then uses a powerful sealing technique called the Dead Demon Consuming Seal to remove their souls. Hiruzen, along with his summon Enma, tries to stop Orochimaru. However, Orochimaru manages to retrieve his weapon and stabs Hiruzen with it, preventing the removal of his soul. Although Hiruzen is dying, he continues to fight and attempts to seal Orochimaru. Despite his efforts, after an hour, Hiruzen realizes he cannot complete the seal. Instead, he chooses to weaken Orochimaru by sealing his arms. With a smile on his face, Hiruzen accepts his fate and dies, hoping to meet Orochimaru again in the next life.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, is among the rare individuals in the Naruto world who have been honored with the title of “God of Shinobi.” This prestigious title was first given to Hagoromo Otsutsuki, known as the Sage of Six Paths. It was then earned by Hashirama Senju, renowned for his immense power. Finally, Hiruzen Sarutobi also achieved the esteemed title of “God of Shinobi” due to his remarkable abilities and achievements.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi began his journey as a shinobi under the guidance of Tobirama Senju, the Second Hokage. Alongside him were his teammates Koharu Utatane and Homura Mitokado. The three of them excelled in their respective paths, with Hiruzen eventually taking the position of Hokage. Koharu and Homura, on the other hand, became village elders, earning great respect not only from the people of the village but also from the Kage themselves.
- Tobirama Senju, one of Hiruzen’s teachers, selected him for the position of Third Hokage. Tobirama recognized that Hiruzen not only possessed the necessary qualities but also embodied the Will of Fire. In a similar manner, Hiruzen wished for Minato Namikaze to be his successor as the Fourth Hokage. As the story progressed, Hiruzen’s desire came true, and Minato eventually became the Fourth Hokage.
- The First and Second Hokage had relatively short reigns as leaders of Konoha. Hashirama died shortly after the establishment of the village. Tobirama also served as the village’s leader for a brief period of time. However, Hiruzen Sarutobi’s tenure as Hokage was considerably longer. He guided the village through the challenges of the First Great Ninja War, the Second Great Ninja War, and even the Third Great Ninja War. Hiruzen holds the distinction of being the longest-serving Hokage in Konoha’s history.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi belonged to the renowned Sarutobi Clan, which played a significant role in the early days of Konohagakure. The clan was among the first to join the village, along with the Uchiha and Senju. The Sarutobi Clan has produced numerous legendary shinobi, including Hiruzen’s father, Sasuke Sarutobi. Although not much information is available about him, he was highly respected by Mikoto and Fugaku Uchiha, who named their second child, Sasuke Uchiha, after him.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi received personal training from the legendary First Hokage, Hashirama Senju, and his brother, the Second Hokage, Tobirama Senju. They fostered in him the powerful Will of Fire, a symbol of determination and loyalty to the village. Hiruzen embraced this ideology and developed it within himself. He then passed on this unwavering spirit to a new generation of shinobi, including the Sannin and those who came after them, ensuring that the flame of the Will of Fire continued to burn brightly.
- As a student of both Hashirama Senju and Tobirama Senju, Hiruzen Sarutobi was influenced by their differing philosophies. He embodied a mix blend of Hashirama’s gentle approach and Tobirama’s strict principles. Hiruzen believed in the importance of kindness and envisioned a future where children would not have to experience the horrors of war. However, he also understood the need for tough decisions and sacrifices in order to safeguard that peace. His leadership reflected this balance, attempting to create a world where compassion and strength coexisted.
- Interestingly, Masashi Kishimoto, the creator of Naruto, initially had the idea of making Hiruzen Sarutobi a dog character. However, he later changed his mind and opted to portray Hiruzen as a human instead. Kishimoto felt that the concept of Hiruzen being a dog was too weird.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi’s clan name, “Sarutobi,” is derived from the character “猿飛,” which means “monkey jump.” This surname refers to Hiruzen’s ability to summon Enma, a monkey. Additionally, Tobirama nicknamed him “Monkey” (サル, Saru). As for his first name, “Hiruzen,” it could potentially be derived from a mountain with the same name located on the border of the Okayama and Tottori regions in Japan.
- In his battle with Orochimaru, the likeness of Hiruzen Sarutobi on the Hokage Rock is shown to have a crack across the face. However, this crack may not always be visible in anime due to factors such as the angle of the scene or mistakes made by the animators.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, has the unfortunate distinction of being the only Hokage to actively participate in all four major Shinobi wars. In the first war, he became Hokage after his team leader Tobirama passed away. Hiruzen then led the village through the second and third wars. In the fourth war, he headed to the battlefield of war along with other Hokages after being resurrected through the Edo Tensei technique.
- While Asuma Sarutobi is the more well-known son of Hiruzen Sarutobi, the Third Hokage, he did have another child who is Konohamaru’s father. Unfortunately, not much information is available about him, including his name. However, it is known that he was a member of the Anbu and that his partner was also an Anbu member.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi’s wife, Biwako, was a skilled ninja with expertise in medical ninjutsu, particularly in the field of midwifery. She was entrusted with the important task of leading a team of midwives to assist Kushina in giving birth to her child.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi was exceptionally young when he became a Kage, and he might have been the youngest Hokage in the Naruto story. Tobirama Senju appointed him as the Hokage while the war was still ongoing. While the exact age when he assumed the position is not specified, it is widely believed that he was one of the youngest to ever become Hokage, along with Minato Namikaze as a possible contender.
- Hiruzen and Orochimaru engaged in a conversation regarding the white snakeskin. In the conversation, Hiruzen explains that it symbolizes good luck and renewal, hinting at the possibility of reuniting with his parents in the afterlife. When Orochimaru inquires about why the snakeskin is white, Hiruzen dismisses it as unimportant, stating that nobody cares about such things. If Hiruzen had responded differently and indulged Orochimaru’s scientific curiosity, it might have influenced Orochimaru’s approach to science.
- Despite his efforts, Hiruzen was unable to make Orochimaru embrace the concept of the Will of Fire, and Orochimaru eventually turned to a path of villainy. He feels responsible for Orochimaru’s actions. Hiruzen also feels guilty for the actions of Danzo. While he did grant Danzo permission to establish Root, an organization with questionable methods, Hiruzen takes full responsibility for the consequences of that decision.
- Hiruzen Sarutobi, also known as the Third Hokage, possessed extensive knowledge and mastery of numerous jutsu in the leaf village. His expertise allowed him to recognize any jutsu simply by observing the corresponding hand signs. With his deep understanding of various jutsu and chakra nature, he was renowned as the “professor.”
- According to the databook, Hiruzen had the desire to engage in a battle with the adult version of his grandson Konohamaru.
- While Hiruzen Sarutobi is typically portrayed as a respectable figure, it is true that there have been instances in the series where he displayed pervert behavior. His involvement with Jiraiya in spying on women and falling victim to Sexy Jutsu showcases this side of his character. Additionally, according to the databook, one of his listed hobbies was “chatting with young girls.” The exact age range or nature of these conversations is not specified, leaving room for interpretation and raising some concerns.
- There’s a connection between Hidekatsu Shibata, the Japanese voice actor of Hiruzen Sarutobi, and Yasuo Fukuda, a former prime minister of Japan. It’s not uncommon for individuals in the entertainment industry to have various connections and relationships outside of their professional work.
- In the Naruto series, Hiruzen Sarutobi has alias such as Third Hokage, God Of Shinobi, Lord Third, Professor, and Gramps.
- In a lighthearted omake (bonus scene) at the end of Naruto: Shippūden Episode 129, Hiruzen’s ghost makes an appearance and playfully scares Naruto and Sakura.