Monkey D Luffy (モンキー・D・ルフィ) is a Brazilian character and a young boy who aspires to become the “King of Pirates” and sets sail on the Grand Line to the New World with his trusted crew to fight the seas and find the biggest treasure in the world called “One Piece”. Luffy was created by the editor and author/ mangaka Eiichiro Oda and the anime was adapted by Toei Animation. He wishes to be the “Most Free Person” in the world.
Luffy, also known as Monkey D Luffy was born on May 5 (age 7 years old- first introduction; 17 years old, pre-time skip; 19 years old post-time skip) in Foosha Village, Goa Kingdom in East Blue. His zodiac sign is Taurus. His blood type is F. Luffy was always inspired by pirates and got his signature straw hat and devil fruit from Red Hair Shanks (Akagami no Shanks.) This led him to become the King of Pirates and return the hat to him.
Height: 5’9″ (post-time skip), 12.2 (Gear 4 Snakeman), 13.1 (Gear 4 Bounceman)
Weight: 64 kg
Eye Color: Jet Black
Hair Color: Black
Built: Skinny muscular
User Type: Paramecia
Scars: Under eye scar, chest scar
Luffy was always a loudmouth, determined and stubborn boy who wanted to fulfill his dream and become the “King Of Pirates”. He has a free spirit and joyful nature with which he brings about liberation and happiness to various kingdoms around the world. He has a strong value system and is ready to fight and protect what he thinks is right. Before losing his brother Ace, he was carefree and did things without thinking much. However, later on, he became more rational. Luffy fights to save everyone and bring equality to the world. His MBTI personality type is ENFP and people with such personalities are Joyful and adventurous.
Statistics and Skills
Fighting Skills: 8/10
Leadership Quality: 10/10
Devil Fruit: 9/10
Bounty: 3 Billion berries (Post Wano Arc)
Luffy and his family belong to the D clan as in their name which depicts them to be the enemies of God.
Parents and Siblings
Monkey D Garp is the strongest-known Hero Of The Navy to ever be known. He took care of Luffy initially and made him go through hard life and get him to become a Navy Officer, but he failed to do so.
Luffy’s father is Monkey D Dragon, the most wanted criminal in the world and leader of the Revolution army. His mother’s origin is unknown.
Luffy had no real siblings but he grew up with a band of Mountain bandits under the care of Curly Dadan, the leader of the bandits. She was entrusted by Garp to take care of Luffy along with Portgas D Ace (Fire Fist Ace) who was left previously by Garp and was the son of the former pirate king, Gol D Roger, Fire Fist Ace.
Luffy met Ace and Sabo at Dadan’s care where these three young boys lived together and bonded over food and adventurous spirits. They all shared the same goal of becoming legendary pirates after growing up. After a good time spent together, these boys formed a bond of brotherhood by sharing Sake (Japanese Alcohol) and promising to be bonded as brothers.
Sabo was assumed to be dead but later was introduced in the Dressrosa Arc where he met Luffy after years of insomnia. He works for the revolutionary army as First in Command. He inherited the devil fruit of Ace and carries on his specialties.
In the series, Luffy has often been associated with Boa Hancock (Pirate Empress/Snake Princess) who met Luffy at Amazon Lily where he got transported after Sabaody Events. She has always been a great ally to Luffy and tends to get married to him. However, Luffy has never shown attraction towards her but does value her a lot.
Friends and Crew
To become the strongest pirate in the world, Luffy has a crew of 10 trusted people who mean more to him than anything. They all have dreams and faith that rest on their captain’s shoulders. Luffy loves his Nakama (crewmates) equally and believes he couldn’t become King of the Pirates without any of them.
Zoro (Former pirate hunter, King of Hell) was the first member of the StrawHat crew and the Vice-captain of Luffy’s crew. Luffy met him in Shells town where Zoro was about to be executed. Luffy saved him and got him recruited him as his first member after they fought together the battle against the Marines.
Sanji (Black Leg Sanji, Prince of Germa) is the cook and left hand of the Straw hat crew. He shows undying loyalty towards the crew and fights with only his legs to protect everyone. He is the son of Vinsmoke Judge who created his kids using scientific technology to lose emotions and gain high levels of power. Sanji dreams of finding “All Blue”, where all sea creatures of the world meet at a similar point.
Usopp (Sogeking, God Usopp, Sniper King) is the sharpshooter/long-distance fighter of the straw hat crew just like his father, Yasopp of the Red Hair Pirates. He met Luffy in Syrup Village where he was well renowned for being the biggest liar (Uso in Japanese meaning Lie) and used to lie about everything and brag to be a strong warrior but inside was a coward. Usopp has never missed any target and is favored by luck. He created various weapons and tools for combat and support. He wanted to travel the seas with Luffy and fulfill his dream to be a proud warrior of the sea.
Nami (meaning Wave in Japanese) is the first female member to join the Straw hat crew. She was a thief who used to con and steal people’s treasure to give that money to rescue his villagers from a pirate Arlong. After she was rescued by Luffy from Arlong and all his villagers were released, she pledged loyalty to Luffy and boarded the ship as the Navigator.
Nico Robin (Devil Child) was born on the island of Ohara where the archeologist scholars used to reside and she was one of the gifted scholars. Eventually, she was the only survivor of her people and had to keep running on a path of survival being a wanted criminal.
A Former musician of the Rumbar Pirates, Brook(Soul King) ate the Revive Revive fruit which allowed him to cheat death once and be reborn again. After losing his crew to a plague, Brook lived alone after getting revived on his ship until he encountered Luffy and his crew. He joined the Straw Hat crew as a musician and became the world-famous rock star Soul King.
Tony Tony Chopper (Reindeer Chopper) is the youngest and sweetest member of the Strawhat Crew. He worked as a doctor at Drum Island. He has a distinct blue nose and Luffy considers him an Emergency Food Supply. Chopper serves as the doctor in Luffy’s Crew after Luffy liberated his kingdom from the rule of Wapol. Chopper dreams to become a doctor who can cure any disease and travel the world with pirates.
Cyborg Franky (real name Cutty Flam) is the shipwreck of the crew and the best builder in the world. He lost half of his body during an accident at a young age and replaced his body mechanically and became a Cyborg. He was initially introduced as a bad guy but ended up becoming a part of the crew and also building the ship, Thousand Sunny which carries the straw hats and is fully equipped with every facility. Franky is considered the big brother of the whole crew and he makes machines that are loved by everyone. He wishes to see his ship cross every ocean and help Luffy cross the world in it.
Boss Jinbe (Fishman Jinbe) is the latest addition to the Strawhat crew as the Helsman of the crew. He is a big blue shark-type Fishman who used to be the leader of the Sun Pirates and a former warlord of the sea. Jinbe has saved Luffy’s life many times and helped him get stronger. He made a promise to Luffy that he will join the crew and did the same in Wano. He is highly respected by everyone in the crew and dreams to create a world where Fishmen and Humans could co-exist.
Straw Hat Grand Fleet
During the Dressrosa Arc, Luffy and his crew were able to fight the corrupt ruler Don Quixote Doflamingo and liberate the whole country from his evil clutches. The alliance was made between seven pirate groups and later they vowed to serve under Luffy as his grand fleet. These include the following Captains
All the captains and their crew together form a crew of over 5600+ people who are willing to fight in the name of the Straw Hat Pirate alliance. They all have been given a Vivre Card which will always point towards Luffy and will indicate in case his life is in danger.
Nefertari Vivi is a princess of the Arabasta Kingdom and a former member of the Straw Hat Pirates. Initially an enemy, she became close friends with Luffy and his crew. Despite finding Luffy’s laid-back and reckless nature astonishing, Vivi trusts him completely and sees him as incredibly strong. Luffy, in turn, admires Vivi’s kindness but sometimes views her as naive. Throughout their adventures together, Vivi grew fond of Luffy and the crew. They helped her save her kingdom from the uprising led by Crocodile. Although Vivi considered joining the crew, she ultimately decided to fulfill her responsibilities as a princess. Nevertheless, Luffy and the crew regard her as an honorary member and treasure the time they shared with her.
Trafalgar Law is the captain of the Heart Pirates and a former Warlord of the Sea. He formed an alliance with Luffy to take down the emperor, Kaido. Despite their different views on alliances, Law respects Luffy and puts up with his carefree nature. They first met on Sabaody Archipelago and later reunited on Punk Hazard. Law saved Luffy’s life and operated on him after the Battle of Marineford. They successfully defeated Kaido and Big Mom together. Law tolerates Luffy’s decisions and has faith in his abilities, but gets frustrated with his recklessness. Luffy sees Law as a close friend and implicitly trusts him. He is protective of Law and was determined to rescue him from Doflamingo. They have a positive relationship despite their differences.
Eustass Kid is the captain of the Kid Pirates and a fellow member of the Worst Generation. He is a rival to Luffy’s dream of becoming the Pirate King but also has a degree of respect and admiration for him. They first met on Sabaody Archipelago and got along well, acknowledging each other as rivals. They reunited on Wano and formed an alliance to take down Kaido. Kid sees Luffy as a rival and respects his numerous feats and craziness. He praised Luffy for his bravery at the Summit War of Marineford. Despite their competitive nature, they worked together and fought side by side against Kaido. Luffy recognizes Kid as his rival and believes he is a strong fighter. He was intrigued by Kid’s Devil Fruit power. They developed a liking for each other and fought together against Kaido and Big Mom. Kid ultimately defeated Big Mom alongside Law, while Luffy took on Kaido.
The world of One Piece has the concept of multiple religions, but Luffy believes in the concept Of “Nakama” which means Friendship. Luffy himself consumed the devil fruit of the “Sun God” (JoyBoy) and has the power of God himself in ancient times people used to pray Nika for liberation, freedom, and joy.
Luffy set sail by the age of 17 to conquer the seas and find the treasure “One Piece”. He became a pirate and started to earn his name on the sea. He gained a big name after he defeated one of the warlords of the sea “Sir Crocodile”. After that, he faced head-on with the World Government and challenged the world Navy and declared open war. He became the first person to break prisoners and safely Escape from Impel Down prison with them to rescue his brother from execution.
He got recognition from the strongest man “WhiteBeard”(Edward Newgate) and fought alongside him against the mighty Admirals and many foes to rescue Ace. Luffy completed his training under the living legend Dark King Silvers Rayleigh (First in Command of Roger Pirates) and mastered all forms of Haki. Later he defeated multiple warlords like Geko Moria, and Doflamingo to liberate dozens of nations. After that, he defeated one of the strongest foes of Big Mom’s pirate group Katakuri and earned a value of 1.5 Billion Berries as a bounty.
His biggest achievement was that he was able to fight and defeat Kaido after multiple defeats and finally unlocked his Sun God form (Gear 5) and put an end to Kaido’s reign. In doing so, he earned the title of Four Emperors of Sea (Yonko) and got the value of 3 Billion Berries, getting him just a few steps away from achieving his dream of becoming the Pirate King.
The One Piece manga was written and illustrated by Eiichiro Oda as his first big manga series. One Piece has been serialized by Shueisha in the shonen jump manga collection, Weekly Shonen Jump on July 22, 1997. Luffy was first shown in One Piece Chapter 1: “Romance Dawn” Weekly Shonen Jump No. 34, 1997. Shueisha has collected its chapters into individual volumes. The first volume was released on December 24, 1997.
One Piece (ワンピース Wan Pisu) is an animated series based on the manga One Piece by Eiichiro Oda, produced by Toei Animation and had its first broadcast by Fuji Television on 20 October 1999. In 2004, the company 4Kids Animation acquired the rights to Dub and provide One Piece for the English dub audience. In this animation, a few changes are made to censor the various scenes not suitable for kids to watch.
The first One Piece movie was launched on March 4, 2004, and was produced by Toei Animation. To date, One Piece has 15 Movies in total with “Film Red” being the latest in addition. The movie 6 “Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island” was an experimental movie with the first time having a CGI version of the anime.
List of all One Piece movies:
- One Piece: The Movie (2000)
- One Piece: Clockwork Island Adventure (2001)
- One Piece: Chopper’s Kingdom on the Island of Strange Animals (2002)
- One Piece: Dead End Adventure (2003)
- The Cursed Holy Sword (2004)
- One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (2005)
- One Piece: The Giant Mechanical Soldier of Karakuri Castle (2006)
- One Piece – Episode of Arabasta: The Desert Princess and the Pirates (2007)
- One Piece – Episode of Chopper Plus: Bloom in Winter, Miracle Sakura (2008)
- One Piece Film: Strong World (2009)
- One Piece 3D: Straw Hat Chase (2011)
- One Piece Film: Z (2012)
- One Piece Film: Gold (2016)
- One Piece: Stampede (2019)
- One Piece Film: Red (2022)
The first One Piece game was released in Japan on the console of WonderSwan in 2000 July- Become the Pirate King! (めざせ海賊王！ Mezase Kaizoku-Ō!) – Bandai. Over the years, multiple games have been released on various platforms such as Gameboy, Nintendo, Play Station, Mobile Phones, etc. Various games featuring One Piece characters have been around such as J-Stars 2014, and Jump Force 2019.
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors
- One Piece: World Seeker
- One Piece: Unlimited Adventure
- One Piece: Burning Blood
- One Piece: Grand Battle 2
- One Piece: Grand Adventure
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2
- One Piece Treasure Cruise
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4
- One Piece Odyssey
Live Shows and Performances
One Piece shows have been a great tourist attraction and were taking place in the One Piece Tower in Tokyo, Japan since 2015 and lasted till 2020 when the Tower was closed. The show involves various actors in cosplay to perform various scenes from the One Piece show.
TV Drama/Web Series
The One Piece series will be released on Netflix in 2023. Luffy will be played by the actor Iñaki Godoy. The show is developed by Matt Owens and Steven Maeda and produced by Tomorrow Studios and Shueisha.
- One Piece Premier Show
- One Piece Water Battle and Sanji’s Pirates Restaurant
- Tokyo One Piece Tower
- Live Attraction One Piece 4D
- The Great Treasure of Tongari Island
- Digital Art Island Adventure
- Straw Hat Pirates vs. Marines vs. Seven Warlords Holographic Battle Theater
- One Piece Dramatic Stage THE METAL ~Marineford of Remembrance
- Super Kabuki II: One Piece
- One Piece Water Spectacle
- Hungry Days commercials
- J-WORLD Tokyo
- ONE PIECE LIVE STAGE: Tower of Steel
- One Piece Art NUE
- One Piece Oto Utage
- Kyutai Panic Adventure and Kyutai Panic Adventure Returns
- Luffy and several other characters had a crossover appearance in “Cross Epoch” alongside characters from Dragon Ball. In this unique story, a memorable moment occurs when Luffy falls from a cliff, and Goku, the iconic Dragon Ball protagonist, intervenes. Displaying his pure heart, Goku commands the Flying Nimbus to rescue Luffy, carrying him safely to their destination, the tea party. Riding the Flying Nimbus is a testament to Luffy’s purity of heart within the Dragon Ball universe.
- Luffy has made notable appearances in various games, including Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars for the Nintendo DS. Additionally, he featured in Battle Stadium D.O.N on the GameCube and PlayStation 2.
- Luffy is also a playable character in the crossover fighting game Jump Force, where he is joined by fellow One Piece characters Zoro, Sanji, Sabo, Boa Hancock, and Blackbeard. Furthermore, Luffy had a special appearance in a crossover one-shot drawn by Yusuke Murata to promote the Jump Super Stars game. In this crossover, Luffy joined forces with Goku, Naruto, Bobobo, and Sena to combat Dr. Mashirito and protect Mamori.
- Japanese men’s fashion magazine Non-no
Portrayed And Voiced By
Japanese Voice Actor
Mayumi Tanaka (田中 真弓, Tanaka Mayumi) is the voice actress of Luffy since 1999 in all movies, games, and anime episodes made in Japanese.
English Voice Actor
Colleen Clinkenbeard(original), Erica Schroeder(4kids animation), and Chuck Powers(young Luffy 2004) have voiced Luffy in English over the years. In 2023 Iñaki Godoy will portray Luffy in Netflix Web Series.
Spanish Voice Actor
Karina Altamirano is the Spanish voice actress of Luffy.
German Voice Actor
Daniel Schlauch is the German voice actor for Luffy.
Portugese Voice Actor
Vagner Fagundes is the Portuguese voice actor of Luffy.
Korean Voice Actor
Kang Su Jin is the Korean voice actor of Luffy.
Italian Voice Actor
Renato Novara is the Italian voice actor for Luffy.
Powers and Abilities
Luffy had always been strong and had been fighting to survive since a young age. Even his grandfather Garp used to teach him to stay strong and fight for himself. After meeting Shanks and searching for food, by mistake, Luffy ate the Gumo Gumo no Mi (Gum Gum fruit) which gave him the powers of a rubber man until it was revealed after 23 years that Luffy had consumed the Hito Hito no Mi – Model Nika (Human Human Fruit) which gave him powers of the Sun God. Luffy has undergone various pieces of training and keeps on getting stronger and more agile.
Luffy’s strength and endurance have been honed through harsh training and intense battles. He has displayed incredible physical strength, knocking out powerful opponents with single punches and performing impressive feats like pushing apart large buildings and carrying massive objects. After training with Rayleigh, his strength increased dramatically, allowing him to defeat formidable enemies with ease. Luffy’s speed, agility, and reflexes are remarkable. He can dodge attacks from lightning-fast opponents and react swiftly even in high-pressure situations. His training and enhanced observation of Haki enable him to anticipate and evade attacks with great precision.
Despite enduring significant physical punishment, Luffy remains conscious and continues to fight. He has survived the poison, powerful blows, and prolonged battles, demonstrating his endurance and willpower. His ability to withstand immense pain and keep fighting showcases his determination and resilience.
Luffy’s instinct and situational awareness in battle are impressive. He often makes instinctual decisions that prove advantageous, such as identifying real enemies among duplicates and finding unconventional ways to overcome opponents’ abilities. His creativity and resourcefulness allow him to adapt and utilize his surroundings to gain an advantage in combat.
Additionally, Luffy has shown the ability to utilize outside objects and enemy techniques to his advantage. He incorporates unconventional strategies and tactics, using enemy weapons, his own blood, or even wax bindings as powerful tools in his fights.
Devil Fruit Attacks
Luffy uses his rubber-like body to stretch at inhuman levels and attack his enemies with highly unique techniques created for him such as Gum-Gum Pistol, Bazooka, Whip, Gatling, etc. These attacks can be modified as per his wishes and are highly creative.
Luffy took training under Dark King Silvers Rayleigh to learn the three forms of Haki – Armament Haki, Observation Haki, and Conquers Haki. He mastered the Advanced Conqueres Haki (aka Ryu Haki) while in Wano training with Hyogoro in Udon Prison to defeat Kaido. He learned the Future Sight of Observation Haki while fighting Charolette Katakuri on Whole Cake Island. He learned using the Conqueror Haki infusion with Armament Haki while his battle with Kaido on Onigashima. Haki gives him a way to fight foes with devil fruit power more efficiently.
While his fight with CP9 members in Enies Luffy, Luffy got the idea to use Gear techniques in order to increase his physical traits. These give him more power and speed but in exchange drain his stamina and force.
Gear 2 – In this form, Luffy can increase blood flow inside his body and his heart rate causes his body to release steam and give super speed and fast techniques.
Gear 3 – In this form, Luffy can gain supermassive sizes by blowing air into his muscles and bones. With this form, he can use giant-sized attacks to hit large enemies and fight with more strength.
Gear 4 – This form is time restricted power increase that gives Luffy the use of massive power and Haki abilities combined together to attack his strongest foes. In gear 4 he can use two forms, Snakeman (Speed type attacks) and Bounceman (Heavy Damage Type Attacks) to fight based on the needs. After the use of these powers, he needs time to recover and get back up again.
Gear 5– During the climax of the Raid on Onigashima, Luffy awakens his Devil Fruit power, resulting in the creation of Gear 5. This awakening grants Luffy greater freedom and introduces new abilities. Instead of focusing on hardening with Busoshoku Haki, Luffy adopts a more cartoonish fighting style and gains the ability to freely manipulate the shape and size of his body. He can also bestow rubber properties on the environment, allowing him to bounce attacks back and stretch objects he touches. Kaidou acknowledges that Luffy’s power now combines characteristics of both Paramecia and Zoan Devil Fruits.
Red Attacks/Fire Attacks
After the death of Ace, Luffy wanted to keep his memory alive forever so he started using fire-based attacks like Gum Gum Red Hawk, and Gum Gum Red Roc using the friction created by high-speed rubber force to bring his body parts on fire and use it to burn enemies.
Too much or too less: People tend to argue over the topic of the size of One Piece manga and anime together. It feels like there is too much to cover then after catching up with it, it feels less than expected with so many unanswered questions and untold mysteries. The secretive author keeps a lot of things hidden and keeps the suspense way too much.
Changes after the time skip: Timeskip was a necessary change that was needed by the straw hats in order to grow themselves and get better while improving their skills and making sure they could be ready to survive the New World. But after that time a few changes were made to every pirate, but the most controversial was Robin and Franky.
Racism with Robin: Nico Robin had a massive change in her appearance despite her age in the Anime. She was changed from a tan-looking brown skin woman to a clear skin woman with a perfect body. Fans were on edge because they believed it was racial and color biased. On the other hand, Franks was changed into a larger version of Cyborg, and the previous version(pre-time-skip) was voted to be better.o
More Fan Service: People were shocked to notice the changes Eiichiro Oda had made after the time-skip version of the story in both anime and manga where the outlook of female character designs was changed and had a more sexual appeal with a detailed focus on body shape and size. Many scenes focused on body scenes that were to be censored for the kids.
Censored Anime Content: Many fans were shocked to see the final outcome of a few battles in One Piece which were not accurate up to the manga panels, where the scenes were given more depth and a realistic approach. One such example is Whitebeard (Edward Newgate) losing half his face during the war at Marieneford. In the anime version, he only lost a part of his beard rather than his face which was not justified.
Defeat of Kaido: Luffy vs Kaido had been a really big hype for the fans but the outcome was unpredictable as Luffy had lost to Kaido multiple times, with barely any chance to do anything more, and many other people had stood up with him to fight Kaido, damaging him majorly during the clash at Onigashima. Luffy kept losing and took way too much help from a ton of people before putting down Kaido and his reign of terror. Kaido had been fighting a long battle with the likes of Supernovas and his own daughter, Yamato, the Samurai-Mink alliance yet he was undefeated. But in the end, the new form of Luffy made it look easy and took him down with a big final blow.
True Motives of Shanks: Shanks has been a complicated and secretive character thought the series with unknown levels of skills and very less screen timing. He has been shown as a very strong character with mastery of Haki, a strong crew, and his influence over them. They stole the Gum-Gum fruit from the world government for reasons unknown and still lies a mystery after the true reveal during Wano Arc. Fans are confused and want answers regarding what the plan is for him and what will be the outcome after Wano.
Awards and Honours
Global Awards for Best-Selling Manga: Best-Selling Manga Series
Anime Awards (2022): Most Viewed Series of All Time
Crunchyroll Awards (2022): Awards for the most-played song – Film Red
46th Japan Anime Awards (2023): Best animation category
- Food: Meat
- Color: Red
- Number: 56 (5 means Go, 6 means Mu in Japanese)
- Accessory: Straw Hat
- Hobby: Exploring Islands and adventure
- One Piece has a spin-off series called “Romance Dawn” which features another timeline and a different story plot where Luffy wants to follow Garp and never met Shanks.
- Oda has confirmed that in the coming 5 years, One Piece will finally be completed with the biggest War Arc in the history of Anime and Luffy will get major changes to cope with what’s to come in the future of Luffy’s journey.
- Luffy is also known and referred to by various names such as Straw Hat Luffy, Mugiwara no Luffy, Sun God Nika, or Straw Hat Captain, Lucy, and Mugiwara-Ya.
- One Piece was highly inspired by other top hits, Dragon Ball and Naruto as Oda was friends with the authors of both mangas. Luffy is just like Goku with the same nature and appetite for food and fights.
- One Piece has over 1050+ episodes with multiple OVAs (Original Video Animations) and 2 crossover episodes with Toriko and Dragon Ball Z all featuring the adventure of Luffy and his crew.
- Luffy is the joy boy himself and focuses on removing various real-life issues of the show of the world such as racism, human trafficking, corruption, government secrets, assassinations, etc, and liberating the world to bring peace and happiness to people.
- Luffy had earlier defeated Eneru who was referred to as God in the series and later the D in Monkey D Luffy was symbolized to be enemies of God.
- His signature line is “I’m gonna become the king of the pirates”. (Kaizoku ni ore wa naru/海賊 に 俺わ なる).
- For the Kumamoto Revival Project, Luffy’s bronze statue was unveiled in November 2018, Located at the Kumamoto Prefectural Government office.
- Luffy is among only a few people such as Gol D Roger, Kozuki Oden, and Momonosuke, who can hear the voice of all things.
- Every episode features an opening song and an ending song, with “We Are” being the most fan favored and after 21 years it was remade with a new version of Luffy and Crew.
- Luffy is the youngest person ever to get the title of Yonko (Four Emperors of the Sea) and holds the power of 800-year-old secret devil fruit of the Sun God.
- One Piece is highly known among people for Japanese Commercials and collaborations with various big brands such as McDonald’s, Fanta, Gucci, Puma, Netflix, etc where Luffy is the center model for all ads.
- Luffy has a unique recruitment method where he believes “You are cool, so join my crew” and wanted to keep a Talking Tree and Unicorn on his ship just for the fun of it.
- The latest game of One Piece: Odessey has been made with the utmost expense and care over the years by developers and Eiichiro Oda supervising it himself for the 25th anniversary of the franchise.
- The Haki used by Luffy is only visible to the viewers and it looks funny to his enemies seeing him in different forms without visible Haki colors.
- In many famous animes such as Fairy Tail, Gintama, Highschool Dxd, and Yakitate!! Japan, and various others, reference to Luffy and various One Piece themes have been mentioned as a cultural reference to show respect to the show.
- Luffy holds several significant distinctions as a Devil Fruit user in the series. He is not only the first character to appear with a Devil Fruit power, but he is also the first to possess a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit. Initially, Luffy’s Gomu Gomu no Mi was believed to be a Paramecia, but in Chapter 1044, it was revealed to be classified as the Mythical Zoan-type Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Nika. This revelation makes Luffy the first Zoan-type user in the series and the first to possess a Mythical Zoan-type power. It is an ironic twist that Luffy is not only a user of the most common type of Devil Fruit (Paramecia), but also of the rarest sub-type (Mythical Zoan).
- Luffy stands out among the Four Emperors in the One Piece world as the only one who has never served under another captain. However, it is worth noting that when Luffy was younger, he expressed a desire to join the Red Hair Pirates, captained by Shanks. This indicates that Luffy had considered aligning himself with another crew at one point.
- Luffy’s participant number at the Corrida Colosseum, which is 0556, holds interesting significance. The first two digits, 05, correspond to Luffy’s birthday on May 5th. The latter two digits, 5-6, can be pronounced as “go-mu,” which is a reference to Luffy’s Devil Fruit ability, the Gomu Gomu no Mi. Additionally, Luffy’s participant number at the Corrida Colosseum, 0556, also aligns with the chapter number where he first arrived at Marineford to rescue his brother, Portgas D. Ace, from his execution. This connection adds another layer of meaning to Luffy’s participant number, highlighting significant moments in his journey and emphasizing the importance of his determination and resolve.
- In every popularity poll, Luffy always ranks first.
- In both the English and Japanese versions of the anime, Luffy’s character is voiced by a woman, despite him being male. This casting decision is common in anime and is known as “seiyuu” in Japanese.
- Luffy shares significant similarities with Gol D. Roger, the late Pirate King in One Piece. They both have the initial “D.” in their names, enjoy friendly relations with their crews and rivals, possess all three forms of Haki, can hear the Voice of All Things, and have worn the iconic straw hat. These connections highlight Luffy’s potential role in inheriting Roger’s legacy and fulfilling his own journey to becoming the next Pirate King.
- Luffy’s powers gained through consuming the Gomu Gomu no Mi Devil Fruit, share similarities with the abilities of DC Comics hero Elongated Man. Both characters obtained their stretching powers after consuming a unique fruit.
- Eiichiro Oda, the creator of One Piece, has a personal policy that prohibits Luffy from being featured on the cover of any magazine other than Weekly Shonen Jump. This means that in cases where One Piece appears on the cover of a spin-off magazine, Luffy will not be included in the artwork. Oda’s policy ensures that Luffy’s appearances remain exclusive to the magazine where One Piece is serialized.
- When a fan questioned Eiichiro Oda about why Luffy doesn’t kill his enemies, Oda responded that it is not a matter of morality but rather a question of punishment. He believes that killing the villains would be letting them off too easily, whereas allowing them to live and witness their dreams being shattered serves as a more appropriate and fitting retribution. Oda’s perspective is centered around the idea that seeing their ambitions crumble before their eyes is a more impactful and satisfying consequence for the antagonists.
- Two abilities showcased by Luffy in a non-canon anime filler arc have now been incorporated into the official manga canon. The first is the Voice of All Things, initially observed in the Warship Island Arc and later officially introduced in the Fish-Man Island Arc. The second is Luffy’s ability to grow giant, first witnessed in the Z’s Ambition Arc with the assistance of Lily Enstomach’s Devil Fruit powers. This ability has now become part of one of Luffy’s Gear 5 techniques, which debuted in the Wano Country Arc.