Erza Scarlet (エルザ・スカーレット, Eruza Sukāretto) is an S-Class Mage of the Fairy Tail Guild, a member of Team Natsu, the Guild’s 7th Guild Master, and a Spatial Magic user in the series Fairy Tail written and illustrated by Hiro Mashima on August 2, 2006.
Erza Scarlet, simply known as Erza was born on April 7 in the year X765 (age 19 years) in the Rosemary Village, Fiore Kingdom. Her Zodiac sign is Aries. She is one of the main protagonists and a powerful S-Class Mage of the Fairy Tail Guild. She is often depicted as a serious and disciplined individual, enforcing the rules of the guild and maintaining order. Erza possesses a unique magic called Requip, which allows her to change her armor and weapons instantly during battle, granting her a wide range of combat abilities to fight for her friends and her loved ones.
Height (approx): 5’ 9″
Weight (approx): 50 kg
Eye Color: Dark Brown (fake right eye)
Hair Color: Scarlet Red
Guild Stamp: Blue (Left arm)
Erza was conceived as a human after her mother, who was a dragon, held her in her womb until she got transformed into fully human form.
Parents and Siblings
Erza Scarlet’s parents are Irene Belserion, a powerful Dragon Slayer Mage and former queen of the Alvarez Empire, and Rung. Tragically, her parents were killed when she was young but it was later revealed that her mother had survived. Erza was then raised in the oppressive Tower of Heaven, enduring harsh treatment. After her escape, she found solace and a new family within Fairy Tail.
Love Interest- Boyfriend
Jellal Fernandes and Erza Scarlet share a deep and complex relationship as childhood friends. During their time as slaves in the Tower of Heaven, their bond strengthened, with Erza adopting the surname “Scarlet” at Jellal’s suggestion. Jellal acted as a protective figure for Erza, shielding her from the horrors of their enslavement. Erza held great admiration for Jellal’s strong sense of justice, and even after his betrayal (which was later revealed to be under Ultear’s influence), she couldn’t bring herself to hate him. She loved Jellal to such an extent that she quickly forgave him once his manipulation ended.
Following the events at the Tower of Heaven, their relationship takes on a more romantic tone, and their mutual attraction becomes evident. Erza adopts a softer and calmer demeanor when interacting with Jellal, aiming to uplift his spirits. She assures him of her forgiveness and encourages him to be positive, despite his past crimes and attempts on her life. Erza wants Jellal to feel at ease in her presence and no longer burdened by guilt. She sheds tears and experiences sorrow when they are separated, particularly when Jellal is arrested. Erza regrets not being able to save him from his dark path but acknowledges that she had to prioritize her comrades. Even when Jellal is imprisoned, Erza hears his voice urging her to fight, though she initially believes it to be her imagination. When she learns of Jellal’s escape, her emotions are mixed, with hopefulness and concern for his well-being.
Their reunion brings both relief and worries for Erza, as Jellal is still a fugitive being pursued by the Council. Despite this, she maintains faith in his abilities and considers his life precious. During their seven-year separation, Erza’s feelings for Jellal deepen, and she expresses her commitment to him, assuring him that she stands by his side. However, when Erza attempts to initiate a kiss upon their reunion, Jellal rejects her advances, feeling unworthy of her due to his past actions at the Tower of Heaven.
Erza Scarlet grew up in Rosemary Village alongside Kagura and Simon. When the village was attacked by a Zeref-following cult, Erza saved Kagura but was caught and enslaved. She was forced to build the Tower of Heaven, where she formed bonds with other enslaved children, including Jellal Fernandes. They planned an escape, but Erza took the blame and was tortured. Jellal rescued her, but she witnessed the sacrifices of her friend Simon and mentor Rob. During the revolt, Erza tapped into her latent magic power and fought back. However, Jellal, possessed by Zeref’s spirit, turned against her and expelled her from the tower, threatening harm to their friends if she returned.
After finding herself in Fiore, Erza Scarlet joined the Fairy Tail Guild. Initially, she wore armor and kept her distance from others. However, after Gray discovered her crying and questioned her, she started opening up to her guildmates. Makarov, the guild master, took her to Porlyusica, who gave her an artificial eye to replace the one she had lost. With her eye healed, Erza shed tears of joy, even though they only came out of her remaining eye.
Over the years, Erza became known as the guild’s disciplinarian, often breaking up fights between Gray and Natsu. She tended to argue with Mirajane, but their conflict eventually subsided after Mirajane’s sister’s apparent death. At the age of fifteen, Erza became the youngest member of the guild to pass Fairy Tail’s S-Class Mage Promotion Trial, showcasing her exceptional abilities.
Erza Scarlet is a fictional character created by Hiro Mashima, a Japanese manga artist and writer. The character Erza in Fairy Tail was named after Eru from Mashima’s one-shot manga Fairy Tale, which served as a precursor to Fairy Tail. Initially, Mashima intended for Erza to shed tears from only one eye due to a defect in her artificial eye. However, this concept was later abandoned as Mashima accidentally depicted scenes where Erza had tears flowing from both eyes. Mashima also admitted to occasionally forgetting the specific design of Erza’s armor, resulting in changes to its appearance each time she appears in the series.
The inspiration for Erza Scarlet’s character in Fairy Tail is drawn from various sources. Hiro Mashima, the creator of Fairy Tail, has mentioned that Erza’s design and personality were influenced by strong and independent female characters from other manga and anime series. Some potential inspirations for Erza’s character include:
- Clare from Claymore: Clare, the main protagonist of Claymore, is a powerful and stoic warrior who shares similarities with Erza. Both characters possess exceptional combat skills and a sense of duty to protect others.
- Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin: Kenshin’s determination to protect and atone for his past actions may have influenced Erza’s unwavering sense of justice and her desire to make amends for the Tower of Heaven incident.
- Joan of Arc: Erza’s character may draw inspiration from the historical figure of Joan of Arc, a courageous and dedicated warrior known for her strong convictions and leadership.
Erza Scarlet undergoes significant character development throughout the Fairy Tail series. Initially portrayed as a serious and distant individual, her experiences and interactions with others shape her growth and bring out different aspects of her personality. Over time, she learns to trust and rely on her friends, allowing herself to show vulnerability and seek support from others. This is evident in her interactions with characters like Gray and Natsu, as well as her close bond with Jellal Fernandes. Erza’s sense of justice and determination also evolve throughout the series. Initially driven by her desire to make amends for the Tower of Heaven incident, she later extends her pursuit of justice to protect her guild and the people she cares about. She becomes a symbol of strength and resilience, embodying the principles of loyalty, courage, and self-sacrifice.
Furthermore, Erza’s character development explores themes of forgiveness and redemption. She faces conflicts involving Jellal, who was once her friend but turned against her. Erza grapples with her feelings towards Jellal and ultimately learns to forgive him, understanding the complexity of his actions and seeking to help him find redemption. Throughout her journey, Erza grows from a disciplined and closed-off individual to someone who embraces her emotions, forges meaningful connections, and fights for what she believes in. Her character development adds depth and complexity to her role as one of the main protagonists in Fairy Tail.
Story and Mission
Erza stops at a tavern on her way home after a mission to kill a huge horned creature, where she overhears a group of Mages discussing a secret Magic called “Lullaby” and one of them, Kageyama, claims he will be able to break the seal.
Erza, Natsu, and Gray stopped Eisenwald from using the Lullaby to kill everyone in Oshibana and Clover Town. They also destroyed the demon sealed inside the Lullaby, but the battle destroyed the meeting hall. Erza was arrested by the Magic Council for the damages caused during the battle, but Natsu saved her by dressing up as her in the courtroom.
In the Sub-Zero Emperor Lyon arc, Erza Scarlet displays a range of emotions and experiences character growth. Initially, she is portrayed as angry and strict, punishing her fellow guild members for breaking rules and hijacking a pirate ship to go after them. However, her encounter with Gray, who stands up to her, prompts a change of heart. She realizes the importance of their mission and shows determination to complete it. During the Galuna Island mission, Erza plays a crucial role in stopping the Moon Drip and saving the villagers from a curse. In the subsequent Phantom Lord arc, Erza becomes a key player in the Guild War between Fairy Tail and Phantom Lord. She demonstrates her strength and determination when she confronts Aria, defeating him despite her exhaustion. During her battle with Jose, the master of Phantom Lord, Erza exhibits her unwavering resolve and love for her friends. She challenges Jose’s motives and defends Lucy, even though she is eventually defeated.
Erza is invited by Loke to join Team Natsu at an expensive resort. While at the resort, Erza has a flashback of her past as a slave. Later, at the casino, Erza’s childhood friends, Shô and Millianna, confront her and reveal their plan to take her back to the Tower of Heaven. Erza is captured and taken to the Tower, where she is imprisoned. She manages to escape and reunites with Natsu and her friends. They learn about Jellal’s plan to use the Tower to resurrect Zeref, and they decide to stop him. They face various challenges, including battles with Ikaruga, and eventually confront Jellal. Erza pins Jellal down but refuses to kill him. However, Natsu arrives and saves her, engaging in a fight with Jellal. Simon sacrifices himself to protect Erza, and Natsu defeats Jellal. The tower becomes unstable, and Erza decides to sacrifice herself to save everyone. However, she wakes up and realizes it was a dream. She embraces her friends and decides to live for them instead of sacrificing herself. Erza’s former comrades apologize, and Erza suggests they join Fairy Tail. They have a farewell ceremony, and Erza bids them goodbye.
Erza returns to a rebuilt and thriving Fairy Tail guild but is concerned when Gajeel Redfox joins their ranks. She expresses her worries to Makarov and requests to keep an eye on Gajeel. During an interview for Sorcerer Magazine, Erza surprises everyone by participating and wearing a modified version of her Heart Kreuz Armor. Deciding to trust Natsu to handle Laxus, Erza destroys the Thunder Palace to protect Magnolia. With the help of her guildmates, she destroys a significant number of Lacrimas. The Harvest Festival continues with the Fantasia Parade, where Erza performs with her swords on a float. She remains vigilant as Laxus leaves the guild, symbolizing that they will always watch over him.
Erza and the members of Fairy Tail leave to train for the Grand Magic Games, and their training is interrupted when they are summoned to the Celestial Spirit World, only to find out it was a false alarm. They return to Earth Land, realizing they have lost three months of training time. Ultear offers to unlock their “Second Origin” to boost their magic power.
The Fairy Tail guild arrives in the capital for the Grand Magic Games, where Erza represents the guild in various battles and shows her strength by defeating 100 monsters in a single event. Throughout the competition, Erza encounters old enemies and reconnects with Millianna, who holds a grudge against Jellal for his past actions. Erza supports her teammates and helps them overcome their challenges. The Fairy Tail guild faces tough opponents but remains determined to win, especially after Lucy is arrested by the Fiore Army. On the final day of the Grand Magic Games, Erza leads her team intending to win and rescue Lucy. Following a strategic plan from their guild master, they battle against other teams and Erza defeats Jenny Realight. She continues her search for Minerva, a member of the rival guild Sabertooth, and stays focused on winning the competition.
After the Fairy Tail guild completes a job, Erza, Wendy, and Carla join a play as actors while Lucy finds them. They become worried about Natsu and Gray’s absence and find them fighting a monster. Erza tries to stop them but gets punched by Natsu and Gray. Later, they learn about a request from a Wizard Saint, Warrod Sequen, and accept it. They arrive at Sun Village, where they encounter frozen giants and treasure hunters. Erza stays behind to investigate and turns into a child. She fights Minerva but gets overpowered until she transforms back into an adult and kicks Minerva. The village is saved, and Erza tries to reason with Minerva but fails. They suspect Tartaros’s involvement in the village’s freezing and enjoy a hot spring together.
In the battle against Tartaros, Erza, and Mirajane rush to protect the former chairman of the Magic Council. However, they are betrayed and captured by Tartaros. Erza is tortured for information about Jellal but refuses to reveal anything. She eventually breaks free and confronts Kyôka, a member of Tartaros. They engage in a fierce battle, and Erza manages to pierce through Cube, Tartaros’ headquarters. She continues to fight Kyôka even as Face, a destructive magic weapon, is activated. With the arrival of Sting and Rogue from Sabertooth, Erza and her allies strive to stop Face and defeat the Underworld King, Mard Geer. The group faces numerous challenges but remains determined to save the world from Tartaros’ threat.
In X792, Erza contacts Natsu and reveals that she was investigating the Avatar cult at a request from Jellal. She explains that Gray had been undercover in the cult and she prevented him from informing Juvia to maintain the plan’s secrecy. Erza joins Natsu and the others in their mission to stop Avatar, attacking the cultists head-on. She showcases her skills by defeating numerous enemies, including Jerome. Erza continues to fight and senses the presence of unknown magic. When a gigantic being, one of the Yakuma Gods, is summoned, Erza recognizes it and watches as Natsu defeats it. She later celebrates their victory with her friends and welcomes the return of Fairy Tail. Erza mentions the need to report back to Jellal and greets Bisca and her family.
She plays a significant role in the rebuilding of the Fairy Tail Guild building after it was destroyed. She proposes dividing the chores among the members to expedite the process. However, when conflicts arise among the guild members, Erza steps in and intimidates them into returning to work. Unintentionally, she finds herself appointed as the seventh Guild Master of Fairy Tail. Mest appears and informs everyone that they need to rescue Makarov, the former Guild Master. Erza follows Mest to the guild building’s basement, where she discovers the secret of Lumen Histoire. Natsu, Lucy, Gray, Wendy, Happy, and Carla accidentally stumble upon them, revealing that they have been spying. Mest shares his memories with everyone, explaining the mission from Makarov and the danger posed by the Alvarez Empire.
Erza and a select group of guild members set out on a mission to rescue Makarov. They encounter Alvarez Navy ships on their way to the Alvarez Empire and disguise themselves as members of the Cait Shelter Guild to avoid suspicion. Erza, Natsu, Lucy, and Gray engage in a battle with the navy to protect a child. Later, they face Marin Hollow, a member of the Alvarez Empire’s Brandish Squad. Erza and Lucy are captured by Brandish, a member of the Spriggan 12, but they are eventually released. Brandish reveals that Makarov is alive but warns Fairy Tail to stay away from Alvarez. She and her team are teleported to an unknown underwater location by Mest, where they discover that Sorano is the spy. Sorano reveals that she knows Makarov’s location and offers to take them there. They reunite with Makarov, and Erza steps down as Guild Master, allowing Makarov to reclaim his position. The guild prepares to face the Alvarez Empire, and Erza learns about Fairy Heart, an infinite supply of magic power. Natsu hints at possessing a secret weapon but refuses to reveal its details. The guild members discuss their strategy against Zeref and the Spriggan 12.
Erza reflects on the mission and her responsibilities as she relaxes with Wendy and Carla. The guild members prepare for the impending attack from the Alvarez Empire. Erza confronts Ajeel Raml, a member of the Spriggan 12, and engages in a fierce battle. Despite initial struggles, Erza manages to defeat Ajeel using her Nakagami Starlight technique. She sustains injuries but is saved by Natsu. Erza and Gray argue about Natsu’s actions, but Erza insists on following Mavis’ plan. Erza teams up with Kagura to reclaim Hargeon Port. They encounter members of the Neinhart Squad and are later ambushed by past enemies resurrected by Historia Azuma. Jellal Fernandes joins them in the fight. They board Neinhart’s ship and face illusions of deceased characters.
Erza is recovering from her injuries and can walk again. Wendy confides in Erza, feeling guilty that she wasn’t there to protect Makarov. Erza reveals that she knew Fairy Law would take its toll on Makarov’s life. Suddenly, they sense a powerful Magic Power approaching, which turns out to be Acnologia. Erza recognizes his power but doesn’t realize he is in human form. Acnologia desecrates Erza’s mother’s corpse, recognizing her as the mother of all Dragon Slayers. Erza demands that he leaves her mother alone but is silenced when Acnologia points out her resemblance to Irene. Wendy identifies Acnologia as the Black Dragon and attempts to fight him but is saved by Jellal, who shields Erza and engages Acnologia. However, Acnologia emerges unharmed and reveals himself as the Dragon of Magic. Wendy tries to challenge Acnologia but is saved by Ichiya, who crashes the Magic Bomber into Acnologia. Ichiya explains that he has a plan to defeat Acnologia, and a mysterious woman approaches Erza and the others.
Erza, known as “Titania,” holds the esteemed position of the Queen of Fairies in Fairy Tail. Her reputation and the respect she garners from everyone in the guild stem from her formidable combat prowess. Regardless of the overwhelming odds she faces, Erza never backs down, showcasing her unwavering determination. Even in situations where victory seems impossible, she manages to emerge triumphant, solidifying her status as an S-Rank Mage and the rightful Queen of Fairies.
- Erza vs. Azuma Sarutobi: This fight took place during the Tartaros arc, and it was a battle between Erza and a powerful wizard. Azuma was a master of fire magic, and he was able to create powerful firestorms. However, Erza was able to withstand Azuma’s attacks and defeat him, proving that she is one of the most durable wizards in Fairy Tail.
- Erza vs. Ikaruga: This fight took place during the Tower of Heaven arc, and it was a battle between Erza and a powerful samurai. Ikaruga was a skilled swordswoman who could cut through anything, and she gave Erza a run for her money. However, Erza was able to overcome Ikaruga’s skill and defeat her, proving that she is a master of all forms of combat.
- Erza vs. Jellal Fernandes: This fight took place during the Tower of Heaven arc, and it was a battle between Erza and her former friend and mentor. Jellal was a powerful wizard who had been corrupted by Zeref, and he was determined to destroy Fairy Tail. However, Erza was able to overcome her past and defeat Jellal, proving that she is a true hero.
- Erza vs. Kagura Mikazuchi and Minerva Orland: This fight took place during the Grand Magic Games arc, and it was a battle between three of the strongest female mages in Fiore. Kagura and Minerva were both powerful swordswomen, and they were determined to defeat Erza. However, Erza was able to overcome them both and prove that she is the strongest woman in Fairy Tail.
- Erza vs. Erza Knightwalker: This fight took place during the Edolas arc, and it was a battle between two Erzas. Erza Knightwalker was a powerful mage from Edolas, and she was determined to defeat Erza. However, Erza was able to overcome her counterpart and prove that she is the true Erza Scarlet.
- Erza vs. Ajeel Ramal: This fight took place during the Grand Magic Games arc, and it was a battle of strategy and power. Ajeel was a powerful sand mage, and he was able to control the desert around him. However, Erza was able to outsmart him and defeat him, proving that she is a skilled tactician as well as a powerful warrior.
- Erza vs. Irene Belserion: This fight took place during the Alvarez Empire arc, and it was Erza’s toughest battle yet. Irene was a Spriggan 12 member and a powerful wizard, and she nearly defeated Erza. However, Erza was able to overcome Irene’s magic and defeat her, proving that she is one of the strongest wizards in Fiore.
- Erza vs. Kyoka: This fight took place during the Tartaros arc, and it was one of the most visually stunning fights in the series. Kyoka was a powerful demon who could steal her opponent’s senses, and Erza had to use all of her strength and skill to defeat her.
- Defeating Jellal Fernandes: Jellal was a powerful wizard who had been corrupted by Zeref, and he was determined to destroy Fairy Tail. Erza was able to overcome her past and defeat Jellal, proving that she is a true hero.
- Defeating Irene Belserion: Irene was a Spriggan 12 member and a powerful wizard, and she nearly defeated Erza. However, Erza was able to overcome Irene’s magic and defeat her, proving that she is one of the strongest wizards in Fiore.
- Defeating Ajeel Ramal: Ajeel was a powerful sand mage, and he was able to control the desert around him. However, Erza was able to outsmart him and defeat him, proving that she is a skilled tactician as well as a powerful warrior.
- Defeating 100 Monsters: During the Grand Magic Games arc, Erza challenged and defeated 100 monsters in the game of Pandemonium. This was a feat that no other mage had ever accomplished, and it proved that Erza is one of the strongest and most feared mages in Fiore.
- Saving Fairy Tail from Tartaros: Tartaros was a powerful dark guild that was determined to destroy Fairy Tail. Erza played a key role in the battle against Tartaros, and she was instrumental in saving the guild.
- Recklessness and Emotional Vulnerability: On one hand, she can be recklessly brave, often jeopardizing her own well-being to shield her friends and guildmates from harm. This tendency towards self-sacrifice sometimes leads her to make impulsive decisions that expose her to unnecessary risks. On the other hand, despite her unwavering sense of justice and her determination to fight for what she believes in, Erza also carries emotional vulnerabilities.
- She is not the most versatile mage: Erza is a master of Requip magic, which allows her to change her armor and weapons at will. However, she is not the most versatile mage in Fairy Tail. She relies heavily on her physical strength and her armor, and she can be vulnerable to mages who use magic that she is not familiar with.
- Her defeat at the hands of Azuma Sarutobi: During the Tartaros arc, Erza was defeated by Azuma Sarutobi, a powerful fire mage. This was a major setback for Erza, and it showed that she was not invincible.
- Her failure to protect Wendy Marvell: During the Avatar arc, Erza was unable to protect Wendy Marvell from being hurt by Irene. This was a major failure for Erza, and it showed that she could not always protect the people she cared about.
Jellal Fernandes was Erza’s friend and mentor during her time at the Tower of Heaven. However, he was later revealed to be a member of the dark guild Grimoire Heart, and he was responsible for the destruction of the Tower of Heaven. Erza and Jellal have fought each other several times, and their rivalry is one of the most intense in the series.
Acnologia is the Black Dragon of the Apocalypse, and he is one of the most powerful beings in the world. Erza fought Acnologia during the Grand Magic Games arc, and she was nearly defeated. However, she was able to survive the battle, and she vowed to one day defeat Acnologia.
Irene Belserion is a powerful wizard who is also Erza’s mother. Erza and Irene fought each other during the Alvarez Empire arc, and it was one of the most difficult battles of Erza’s life. However, Erza was able to overcome Irene’s power, and she proved that she is one of the strongest wizards in Fiore.
Mard Geer Tartaros was the leader of the dark guild Tartaros, and he was one of the most powerful mages in the series. Erza fought Mard Geer during the Tartaros arc, and it was one of the most difficult battles of Erza’s life. However, Erza was able to overcome Mard Geer’s power, and she helped to save Fairy Tail from Tartaros.
Zeref Dragneel is the Black Wizard, and he is one of the most powerful beings in the world. Erza has never fought Zeref directly, but she has been involved in several battles against his forces. Erza is determined to one day defeat Zeref, and she believes that she is the only one who can stop him.
Kagura Mikazuchi is a powerful swordswoman who is the leader of the Mermaid Heel guild. Erza and Kagura have fought each other several times, and their rivalry is one of the most heated in the series.
Minerva Orland is a powerful swordswoman who is the leader of the Sabertooth guild. Erza and Minerva fought each other once, and it was a very close battle. Erza was able to win the battle, but Minerva vowed to one day defeat Erza.
Bacchus Grohis an S-class Mage of the guild, Quatro Cerberus, and is considered a rival to Erza Scarlett. He is a skilled drinker and a powerful fighter.
Erza and Natsu Dragneel share a deep bond as guildmates and friends. Natsu greatly admires Erza for her power and bravery, while Erza trusts Natsu and values their friendship. They support and protect each other, willing to sacrifice for the sake of their teammates. Their relationship is characterized by mutual respect and a shared determination to overcome any obstacle they face together.
Lucy Heartfilia and Erza share a deep and supportive friendship within the guild. Lucy looks up to Erza as a role model, admiring her strength and beauty. They are always there for each other, willing to go to great lengths to protect and rescue one another. Their bond is built on trust and understanding, and they find comfort in each other’s company. Despite their differences, they have a strong connection that extends beyond battles and missions.
Erza and Gray Fullbuster have a longstanding relationship that dates back to Erza’s early days in Fairy Tail. While Gray has a certain level of fear towards Erza, her scolding is enough to quell any arguments or fights between him and Natsu. Despite this fear, they have a strong bond as teammates and close friends, even sharing a childhood where they bathed together with Natsu. Unlike Natsu, Gray doesn’t see Erza as a rival and doesn’t seek out fights with her. In fact, he initially approached her boldly but was defeated, leading him to understand the emotional significance of her armor and the need for her to be with her comrades in Fairy Tail. Gray’s unwavering determination and refusal to back down have influenced Erza on multiple occasions. He has shown genuine concern for her well-being, even taking on opponents to protect her, such as during the Tower of Heaven incident when she was targeted as a sacrifice.
Happy holds great respect for Erza and recognizes the immense power of her magic. However, he also fears her due to her overwhelming strength. When faced with Erza’s presence on Galuna Island, Happy attempts to flee but is ultimately captured and roped into assisting her. Despite this fear, Happy cherishes his relationship with Erza and is willing to help and protect her and their fellow guild members. Similarly, Erza highly values her connection with the Fairy Tail members and is willing to put her life on the line for their sake, as seen during the Phantom Lord attack and her battle against Azuma. Happy’s loyalty and commitment to Erza are evident as he aids their team and other friends in various situations.
Wendy Marvell is not only a guildmate of Erza’s but also a close friend. Erza extended an invitation to Wendy to join Fairy Tail after witnessing her distress upon discovering that the Cait Shelter Mages were mere illusions. In a warm gesture, Erza even bought a cake to welcome Wendy into the guild. Their bond is evident as Erza expressed concern for Wendy’s well-being during her first major mission and personally checked on her to ensure her safety. While they share a strong friendship, there is also a playful rivalry between them. On Tenrou Island, when Wendy was healing the injured, Erza playfully joined in, jesting about having many patients due to her ample chest, creating a light-hearted competition between them.
Erza and Mirajane Strauss, both guildmates in Fairy Tail, started off as fierce rivals during their younger years, engaging in constant fights akin to Natsu and Gray’s ongoing rivalry. Mirajane held a strong dislike for Erza and discouraged her siblings, Elfman and Lisanna, from associating with anyone she considered to be on Erza’s side. However, their rivalry took a sudden halt when Lisanna tragically passed away. Mirajane underwent a profound transformation, adopting a kinder personality and putting an end to her feud with Erza. Their relationship turned into a friendly one, marked by understanding and mutual support.
Erza holds deep reverence for Makarov Dreyar, the Guild Master of Fairy Tail. Makarov played a crucial role in Erza’s life, arranging for an artificial eye to be created for her after she lost her original one. When Makarov was unexpectedly injured during the assault on Phantom Lord, Erza was devastated and immediately prioritized his well-being, ordering her guildmates to retreat. His unexpected appearance during her battle with Jose Porla brought her immense joy and moved her to tears. In Makarov’s absence, Erza takes on the responsibility of looking after her fellow guildmates, assuming a stricter and more severe demeanor.
Erza has a strong hatred towards Ichiya Vandalay Kotobuki, who fancies himself as a womanizer. Ichiya constantly tries to get close to Erza and smell her perfume, much to her disgust. She reacts with a powerful punch when he approaches her, sending him colliding with Lyon. Despite her disdain for him, Erza acknowledges Ichiya’s reputation as one of the strongest Mages of Blue Pegasus.
Millianna and Erza were childhood friends who were both slaves at the Tower of Heaven. Millianna believed that Erza had betrayed them, so she took part in her kidnapping. However, she later apologized to Erza and they escaped together. Seven years later, Millianna and Erza were reunited as members of competing guilds in the Grand Magic Games. Millianna was planning on revealing herself after the competition, but she couldn’t wait and they had a tearful reunion. Erza was worried about Millianna’s hatred towards Jellal, but she told her that she had forgiven him. Ultear then revealed that she was the one who caused Millianna’s suffering. After the defeat of the Dragons, Erza and Millianna attended a celebratory ball to happily enjoy the life ahead.
Mystogan and Erza were former guildmates, and Mystogan would often wear a mask to conceal his identity. He used Sleep Magic to keep the guild members asleep while he visited, especially for Erza’s sake. This was because Mystogan resembled Jellal Fernandes, who was Erza’s childhood friend but had turned evil due to outside influences. Mystogan wanted to spare Erza the pain of seeing Jellal’s face. However, during a battle with Laxus, Erza, and Natsu accidentally saw Mystogan’s unmasked face. Mystogan briefly explained that he was not the same person as the Jellal she knew, but didn’t provide further details.
Simon and Erza share a deep and close bond. They were both slaves who spent time together, and Simon developed strong feelings for Erza. Despite his initial openness about his emotions, Simon became uncertain about Erza’s true feelings when she started the slave revolt. In the midst of a battle, Simon tried to reveal his true feelings to her but was interrupted by an injury. Simon, however, saw through Jellal’s lies and knew Erza would never betray them, even when Jellal labeled her a traitor. This demonstrates the profound trust Simon had in Erza. Simon sacrificed his life to protect Erza from Jellal’s destructive attack, confessing his love for her before he passed away. Though Erza did not share the same romantic feelings, Simon’s death deeply affected her, and she grieved for him like never before, showcasing the depth of their friendship.
Shô and Erza were close friends as slaves in the Tower of Heaven. Erza took the blame for orchestrating an escape plan to protect Shô, and she was tortured as a result. Erza left the Tower of Heaven, and Shô believed that she had abandoned him. Years later, Shô captured Erza and intended to bring her back to the Tower of Heaven as a sacrifice. However, he was happy to see her alive and well. When he learned that Erza had not abandoned him, he regretted his actions and joined forces with her. After the Tower of Heaven was destroyed, Erza organized a farewell ceremony for Shô. They were both moved by their reunion and parted ways with the hope of meeting again in the future.
Erza and Wally Buchanan share a deep friendship forged during their enslavement in the Tower of Heaven. Initially driven by anger and revenge, Wally later apologizes to Erza and regrets his past actions. When Erza intercepts him, Sho, and Millianna during their attempt to leave, she organizes a heartfelt farewell ceremony that touches Wally’s heart. He promises that their paths will cross again, emphasizing the enduring bond between them.
Erza Scarlet embodies the ESTJ (Extraverted, Sensing, Thinking, Judging) personality type. She exhibits traits that align with this classification, showcasing her strong leadership qualities, confidence, and assertiveness. Erza’s extraverted nature allows her to take charge and effectively guide her teammates. With her keen sensory perception, she pays close attention to details and relies on concrete information to make informed decisions. Her logical thinking enables her to approach problem-solving in a practical and strategic manner. Additionally, Erza’s preference for structure and adherence to rules exemplify her judging inclination. While fictional, the ESTJ framework helps capture Erza’s character traits, such as confidence, practicality, logical thinking, and a strong sense of responsibility towards her guild.
During the X791 Grand Magic Games, Hiro Mashima included battle statistics for 31 out of the 40 contestants in Volume 32’s extra content. However, these stats were not presented from Mashima’s perspective as the author, but rather from the viewpoint of Sorcerer Magazine reporter Jason. It should be noted that the accuracy and completeness of these statistics may vary, as some stats may be missing or inaccurate due to Jason’s perspective. They are as follows:
Attack Power: 5/5
Defensive Power: 5/5
Erza uses requip magic which allows her to store a lot of outfits and armor to use in daily life or for combat. Her signature outfit primarily consists of custom-made armor crafted by the Heart Kreuz smiths, which provides her with both protection and a distinctive appearance. This armor is complemented by a blue skirt and black boots, completing her ensemble. Adorning her left upper arm is the blue Fairy Tail stamp, symbolizing her affiliation with the guild.
Notably, Erza’s mastery of Requip Magic allows her to change not only her armor but also various outfits, providing her with the flexibility to alter her attire as needed. Throughout the series, she wears different attires such as Heaven’s Wheel Armor, Black Wing Armor, Purgatory Armor, bikinis, wedding dresses, and many more. She can use her magic to instantly change her outfit and weaponry in order to make the best use of every situation. Erza has over 200 distinct kinds of weaponry and over 100 kinds of armor.
Erza possesses a combination of enhanced strength and immense endurance, defying expectations with her slim figure. She effortlessly lifts and manipulates objects many times her size and can send opponents flying with a flick of her wrist. Her sword slashes are so powerful that they can slice through metal using only the air pressure generated by her swings. Despite depleting her magic power in battles, she exhibits remarkable endurance, swiftly recovering to join subsequent conflicts, switching armors, and engaging in coordinated attacks with her teammates. Erza’s exceptional physical abilities make her a formidable warrior in combat.
Storehouse of Magic
Erza wields an immense amount of Magic Power befitting her status as an S-Class Mage. Despite the demanding nature of her battles, she effortlessly utilizes her Requip Magic, rapidly changing armors without displaying any signs of exhaustion. Notably, she has demonstrated the ability to consecutively Requip her formidable armors such as the Heaven’s Wheel Armor and over 200 swords following the Lightning Empress Armor, all while maintaining an ample reserve of Magic Power. When exerting her Magic Power, it emanates a vibrant red hue, a testament to the incredible strength she possesses.
Super high durability levels
Erza possesses exceptional physical durability, enduring powerful attacks such as the Magical Convergent Cannon – Jupiter and the counter effects of 200 Lacrima orbs. She withstood devastating spells, and multiple injuries, yet remained resilient in battles against formidable opponents like Azuma and Minerva. When her “Second Origin” was opened by Ultear Milkovich, Erza remained composed while her teammates, including Gray Fullbuster, Natsu Dragneel, and Juvia Lockser, experienced excruciating pain. During the Grand Magic Games, she triumphed over 100 formidable monsters, sustaining injuries but displaying no signs of fatigue. Notably, Erza endured Minerva’s highly destructive Yagdo Rigora spell with only minor damage, a testament to her resilience.
Erza possesses a formidable ability known as Requip: The Knight (換装 ザ・ナイト, Kansō Za Naito), a form of Magic that grants her the power to switch weapons, armor, and clothing at will. She has achieved remarkable mastery over this unique form of Requip, allowing her to execute rapid changes during battles. With an extensive collection of over 100 different armors, Erza’s immense strength and versatility have earned her widespread recognition in Magnolia Town and the Kingdom of Fiore, earning her the title “Titania.”
Erza can use Sword Magic (剣の魔法 Ken no Mahō), a powerful form of Magic centered around the use of swords. With this ability, she can unleash various magical attacks by channeling her magic through her swords. Erza often combines her Sword Magic with specific armors, enhancing her close-quarters combat abilities and adding deadly force to her attacks. Additionally, she demonstrates the capability to combine different armors with various swords, enabling her to block or strike with even greater strength and blend different elemental forces together. Moreover, Erza possesses telekinetic abilities, allowing her to target and affect opponents beyond her physical reach.
Erza possesses the ability of Telekinesis (テレキネシス Terekineshisu), which she demonstrated unintentionally during her childhood in the Tower of Heaven. In a moment of shock after Rob’s death, she used this magic to levitate discarded weapons from the ground and hurl them at her enemies. Erza’s frequent utilization of Telekinesis is seen in conjunction with her Sword Magic, allowing her to manipulate her swords remotely and execute various attacks with precision and control.
Equipment and Weapons
Erza possesses an extensive collection of over 100 armor sets and more than 200 weapons, showcasing her diverse arsenal of equipment. Here are the ones which have been mentioned or shown in the series to date:
Heart Kreuz Armor (ハートクロス 鎧, Hāto Kurosu no Yoroi)
The Heart Kreuz Armor, exclusively designed for Erza by the renowned fashion brand, features a sleek breastplate crafted from a single piece of metal. Adorned with intricate curved lines and a modified Heart Kreuz emblem, the armor also bears the emblem of Fairy Tail. This stylish attire serves as Erza’s casual outfit of choice.
Heaven’s Wheel Armor (天輪の鎧 Tenrin no Yoroi)
The Heaven’s Wheel Armor showcases a plated chest piece adorned with a prominent metal flower. Erza’s billowing skirt features upper metal plating, leaving her stomach and neck exposed. The armor boasts striking metal wings resembling individual blades and a wing-like headpiece.
- Flight: While donning this armor, Erza gains the ability to briefly fly.
Sword Requipping: Erza can summon a vast array of swords, numbering over 200, and launch them in various ways, ideal for facing multiple opponents.
- Blumenblatt (Heaven’s Wheel: Riotous Swords): Erza swiftly slices her opponent with two swords, followed by launching multiple reequipped swords simultaneously.
Circle Sword (Heaven’s Wheel: Circular Blades): By commanding her blades to dance, the swords spin around Erza in a rapid disc formation, dealing significant damage upon impact as they separate and fly in different directions.
- Trinity Sword (Heaven’s Wheel: Three Swords): Erza executes a slashing attack in a delta formation while wearing the Heaven’s Wheel Armor.
- Pentagram Sword (Heaven’s Wheel: Five-Star Swords): Utilizing the Heaven’s Wheel Armor, Erza slashes her swords in the shape of a pentagram to assault her target.
Black Wing Armor (黒羽の鎧 Kureha no Yoroi)
The Black Wing Armor is armor with a black design and silver trimming adorned with crosses. The armor leaves the front exposed, with the groin covered in a dark imbuement. Leg guards and two wings with black metal “arms” and membrane-like structures complete the ensemble, while Erza’s hair is tied in a ponytail.
- Flight: The armor grants Erza the ability to fly short distances.
- Increased Offense: This armor enhances Erza’s offensive capabilities, allowing her to inflict significant damage on her enemies while utilizing a variety of weapons.
- Moon Flash (Black Wing: Moon Slash): Erza swiftly dashes past her target, delivering cross-shaped slashes.
Flame Empress Armor (炎帝の鎧 Entei no Yoroi)
The Flame Empress Armor features a predominantly dark red color scheme with accents of orange and black. The armor’s design resembles flames and Dragon’s limbs, with a revealing breastplate adorned with wing-like structures. Orange gauntlets and Dragon claw-shaped greaves complete the ensemble. Erza’s hair is styled into high, long pigtails.
- Flame Resistance: When wearing the Flame Empress Armor, Erza’s defense against flame attacks is enhanced, reducing its destructive power by 50%.
- Fire Magic: This armor also grants Erza the ability to harness and manipulate fire, allowing her to shoot flames at her opponents.
- Flame Slash: Utilizing the power of the Flame Empress Armor, Erza can gather flames around her sword and unleash a fiery slash upon her target.
The Giant’s Armor (巨人の鎧 Kyojin no Yoroi)
This armor is characterized by its large, golden fur-like appearance and prominently features a cross on the breastplate. The accompanying headgear resembles a pair of metal ears. When paired with the De-Malevo-Lance, a polearm adorned with a matching cross, the armor’s power is amplified.
- Enhanced Strength: When wearing the Giant’s Armor, Erza’s throwing power and strength are significantly enhanced. This was demonstrated when she hurled her spear toward the “moon” above Galuna Island.
Adamantine Armor (金剛の鎧 Kongō no Yoroi)
The Adamantine Armor is a robust and imposing armor characterized by its navy and blue color scheme. The breastplate consists of interconnected plates, adorned with four tube-like ornaments above the chest area and a high armored collar. The shoulder pads are large and feature spike-shaped plates protruding from a darker base. Completing the ensemble is a helmet that covers the top and sides of Erza’s face, leaving the back of her head exposed and featuring prominent outward-facing spikes.
- Immense Defense: The Adamantine Armor is renowned for its unparalleled defensive capabilities. Erza demonstrated its extraordinary resilience by withstanding the powerful Magic beam unleashed by Phantom Lord’s Magical Convergent Cannon – Jupiter. Despite sustaining injuries and the armor sustaining damage, she successfully shielded the entire Fairy Tail Guild and its members from harm.
- Adamantine Barrier: With this armor, Erza possesses the ability to create a formidable Magic Barrier by combining her two shields. This barrier is exceptionally sturdy and capable of enduring even formidable spells such as the Jupiter Cannon.
- Flight: While donning the Adamantine Armor, Erza gains limited flight capabilities, allowing her to traverse short distances through the air.
Lightning Empress Armor (雷帝の鎧 Raitei no Yoroi)
This Armor exudes a regal aura with its golden and light bluish color scheme. The breastplate is adorned with intricate golden trimmings and features sleek plates that encircle Erza’s neck. When wearing this armor, Erza’s hair is styled into a long braid, complemented by a headband adorned with ribbons. The armor’s weapon is a formidable spear, boasting a large blade with a shield-like circle connecting it to the shaft, which is adorned with a prominent ribbon.
- Lightning Resistance: This armor provides exceptional protection against lightning-based attacks, allowing Erza to withstand powerful strikes without sustaining injuries. It has proven effective in enduring assaults from lightning magic users like Laxus Dreyar.
- Lightning Magic: The Lightning Empress Armor grants Erza the ability to harness the power of lightning in her attacks, striking her foes with electrifying force.
- Lightning Beam: Erza unleashes a focused blue beam of lightning, projecting it from the tip of her armor’s spear toward her opponent.
- Lightning Cyclotron: With the aid of the magic seal formed on the spear’s tip, Erza barrages her adversaries with a series of simultaneous lightning attacks, creating a formidable cyclone of electrical energy.
Purgatory Armor (煉獄の鎧 Rengoku no Yoroi)
The Purgatory Armor is a menacing black armor adorned with intimidating spikes. When Erza dons this armor, her hair takes on a striking spiked style, partially concealing her right eye, while a shadowy aura adds to her fearsome appearance. Regarded as one of her most formidable armors, its true power remains largely unknown, as it was swiftly destroyed by Ikaruga before its full potential could be unleashed.
Flight Armor (飛翔の鎧 Hishō no Yoroi)
The Flight Armor showcases a unique design with minimal armored components. Its cheetah-printed outfit captures attention, while a prominent collar adorns Erza’s neck and a bushy fur tail gracefully hangs from the back of her shorts. To complete the ensemble, large cheetah ears embellish both sides of Erza’s head. This armor equips Erza with a pair of short swords featuring intricate hand guards reminiscent of rose thorns.
- Enhanced Agility: The Flight Armor enhances Erza’s agility, allowing her to move with remarkable speed and grace. She can swiftly maneuver through the battlefield with the agility of a cheetah.
- Aerial Combat: With the aid of the Flight Armor, Erza excels in aerial combat, effortlessly navigating the skies and engaging opponents with swift swordplay and acrobatic maneuvers.
- Thorn Whirlwind: Erza performs a spinning attack, utilizing her short swords to create a whirlwind of rapid strikes, resembling the swirling motion of rose thorns. This technique can devastate multiple enemies simultaneously.
- Leaping Cheetah: Erza utilizes her enhanced agility to perform a powerful leaping strike, closing the distance between her and her target with lightning speed, and delivering a precise and forceful attack.
Robe of Yūen (悠遠の衣 Yūen no Koromo)
The Robe of Yūen takes the form of a captivating purple kimono, exuding elegance and grace. Its design features a sleeveless tunic adorned with intricate flower motifs, revealing Erza’s chest with a cleavage and side openings. Secured by a dark obi embellished with a thin red rope and a wide closing ribbon, along with a smaller white belt, the kimono is gracefully cinched by a pink, flower-patterned cloth encircling Erza’s waist.
- Flexibility: The Robe of Yūen possesses elastic properties, granting Erza remarkable flexibility and freedom of movement. This unique feature allows her to evade Midnight’s Reflector Magic, preventing any attempts to bind or strangle her with it.
- Graceful Maneuverability: With the Robe of Yūen, Erza moves with unmatched grace and agility, gliding through the battlefield with fluid motions reminiscent of a flowing kimono. She effortlessly navigates tight spaces and executes precise combat maneuvers with elegance.
- Floral Fury: Erza channels the power of her armor to unleash devastating attacks infused with floral energy. Her strikes emanate beauty and strength as she overwhelms her opponents with a flurry of precise and powerful blows, leaving them in awe of her skill and style.
Morning Star Armor (明星の鎧 Myōjō no Yoroi)
The Morning Star Armor boasts a composition primarily crafted from a supple leather-like material, adorned with exquisite feather-shaped embellishments. It showcases a short cape, elegant pauldrons emerging from beneath it, and a waist-circling fabric secured by a simple front belt. Erza adorns a form-fitting suit that accentuates her legs, featuring fishnet leggings and high-heeled armored greaves with formidable knee guards. Her arms bear substantial armor plating. Complementing the ensemble, Erza’s hair is styled in intricately tangled buns atop her head. She wields a pair of straightforward swords, distinguished by cross-shaped hand-guards expanding towards the edges, their blades deviating from the conventional cutting-edge design.
- Photon Slicer: By aligning her twin swords towards her adversary, Erza harnesses the power of light particles within them, unleashing a formidable blast directed at her target. The photon-infused assault surges forth, overwhelming her opponents with its radiant energy and destructive force
Fairy Armor (妖精の鎧 Fearī no Yoroi)
Revered as the pinnacle of Erza’s armory, the Fairy Armor holds the esteemed distinction bestowed upon it by her counterpart, Erza Knightwalker. Adorned with the name of her cherished guild, it serves as a testament to her unwavering pride in being a member of Fairy Tail. Resplendent in a delicate shade of pink, the armor showcases a modest breastplate seamlessly melded with an ornate collar. Elaborate wing-shaped motifs embellish its enchanting ensemble. Completing the regalia, a pair of striking swords are embraced, mirroring each other with grandiose hand-guards resembling ethereal wings. Notably, the blades near the hilts bear exquisite motifs, accentuating their beauty and splendor.
- Dual Wings of Fury: Wielding her paired swords, Erza channels the indomitable spirit of the fairy wings adorning her armor. The blades slice through the air with awe-inspiring precision, guided by her unwavering resolve and honed skill. Every strike carries the weight of her guild’s legacy, unleashing a tempest of fury upon her foes.
- Radiant Spirit: Illuminated by the iridescent glow of the Fairy Armor, Erza emanates a radiant spirit that touches the hearts of all who behold her. Her unwavering determination and resilience shine through, infusing her actions with an otherworldly light. She becomes a guiding star amidst the darkness, leading her allies toward victory and dispelling despair with her luminous presence.
- Fairy Piercing Sword: Infusing her swords with surges of potent energy, Erza embarks upon a formidable assault. With unparalleled precision and unwavering determination, she launches herself towards her target with a resolute lunge.
Sea Empress Armor (海王の鎧 Kaiō no Yoroi)
This armor has a vibrant green and accented shade of blue, the Sea Empress Armor embodies the essence of the ocean. Its unique design mimics the graceful sway of seaweed, adorning Erza’s form with a tantalizing glimpse of her midriff and back. Delicate chains cascade from the breastplate, accentuating her exposed features with a touch of enchantment. A regal collar guards her neck, while majestic fin-like protrusions adorn her head, bearing witness to her dominion over the seas. Completing the ensemble is a magnificent crystal sword, its translucent blade shimmering like ocean waves, embellished with countless crystals that sparkle in every direction.
- Water Immunity: The Sea Empress Armor grants Erza complete resistance against water-based attacks, rendering them ineffective. Even Juvia’s formidable water magic poses no threat to her when she dons this armor.
- Hydroburst Slash: With the power of Water Magic infused within her sword, Erza can unleash devastating whirlpools that engulf her foes, unleashing a torrential onslaught of watery destruction.
Seductive Allure Armor (誘惑の鎧 Yūwaku no Yoroi)
This provocative armor is an incredibly daring maid outfit, designed to captivate and entice. It consists of a revealing long light apron, tied delicately behind Erza’s neck and back, leaving her bare chest and sides exposed. Paired with dark panties and long stockings that reach up to her mid-thighs, it accentuates her curves. The armor features elegant gauntlets extending to her biceps, adorned with heart-shaped elbow guards. Erza’s head is adorned with a charming maid hat, completing the seductive ensemble. The armor includes a simple sword engraved with the words “Come on Boy” on its blade, although the true effects and abilities of this armor remain unknown.
Celestial Divinity Armor (天一神の鎧 Nakagami no Yoroi)
This legendary armor can only be donned by Erza when she taps into her Second Origin. It has remained unused for over a decade due to its immense Magic Power consumption. The one who wears this armor gains the power to defy the very laws of magic. The armor consists of a revealing, short robe adorned with intricate ribbons at the waist. Impressive pauldrons rest upon each shoulder, depicting a fierce lion with an open mouth, while matching decorated greaves complete the ensemble. A rhombus-shaped tiara and a large sash, which drapes over her head and cascades towards the ground with decorative beads, complete the attire. The armor is equipped with a formidable halberd featuring a circular hand guard at its center.
- Starlight Annihilation: By combining her halberd with this armor, Erza unleashes a devastating attack of unparalleled strength and speed, swiftly dismantling her opponents with sheer brute force.
Erza dons this specialized armor to effectively pierce through Kyouka’s defenses within Cube. The set comprises a breastplate, wristguards, gauntlets, and leg plates, all adorned with a striking greenish-silver hue. The Fairy Tail emblem embellishes each pauldron, while decorative designs accentuate the legplates. Worn alongside black pants and brown elbow pads concealed beneath the gauntlets, a complementary olive belt is tied above the waist guard. While the armor’s independent capabilities remain undisclosed, it is primarily known for its remarkable piercing prowess.
- Piercing Strike: Accompanying this armor is a formidable silver jousting lance, intricately designed with ornate patterns on its vamplate. This weapon has demonstrated the astounding ability to pierce through formidable barriers, even penetrating massive fortresses with ease.
The Holy Hammer is an ancient weapon that Erza received during the Key of the Starry Sky arc. It is a long hammer with a black handle and a gray cylindrical head. The hammer is said to keep evil at bay and can protect its wielder from the effects of Real Nightmare. It can also leave wounds of light on its enemies and break chains with ease. The Holy Hammer was also shown to be useful for defense.
In the movie “Fairy Tail: Priestess of the Phoenix,” Makarov Dreyar entrusts Erza with the Sacred Arrow, an ancient magical weapon specifically designed to defeat the Phoenix. This triangular arrow features a pointed shaft with three fins and emits a radiant blue glow, while its shaft is adorned with two white fletchings. Forged by Kalard in the past, the arrow holds the power of Dispelling Magic, making it capable of dismantling the protective magic surrounding the Phoenix Stone. With the Sacred Arrow in her possession, Erza wields its unique design, ancient origins, and potent magic to confront and overcome the Phoenix, fulfilling her role in the battle against the mythical creature.
Appearances in Popular Media
Erza was first introduced in the anime in Episode 4: Dear Kaby.
She made he debut in the Manga in Chapter 10.
Erza appeared in both movies of Fairy Tail.
- Fairy Tail: The Phoenix Priestess
- Fairy Tail Movie 2: Dragon Cry
List of games featuring Erza:
- Fairy Tail (Video Game)
- Fairy Tail Brave Guild
- Fairy Tail Brave Saga
- Fairy Tail DiceMagic
- Fairy Tail Forces Unite!
- Fairy Tail Gekitotsu! Kardia Daiseidou
- Fairy Tail Gekitou! Madoushi Kessen
- Fairy Tail Goku • Mahō Ranbu
- Fairy Tail Hero’s Journey
- Fairy Tail Portable Guild
- Fairy Tail Portable Guild 2
- Fairy Tail Zeref Awakens
OVA’s (Original Video Animation)
List of all Original Video Animations featuring Erza:
- Fairies’ Christmas (Episode)
- Fairies’ Penalty Game (Episode)
- Fairies’ Training Camp
- Fairy Academy – Yankee-kun and Yankee-chan! (Episode)
- Fairy Tail x Rave (Episode)
- Memory Days
- Natsu vs. Mavis (Episode)
- The Exciting Ryuzetsu Land
- Welcome to Fairy Hills!! (Episode)
- Fairy Tail: The Color Residing Within The Heart
- After The Grand Magic Games, Each Individual Day
- Ōedo Fairy Tail
- Trouble Twins
- Fairy Tail in Wonderland
- Wish on a Star Cover
- Fairy Tail Gamebook Phantom Island Monster
The Japanese voice actor of Erza is Ohara Sayaka and the English voice actor is Colleen Clinkenbeard.
- German: Oeffinger, Marieke
- Spanish: Vera, Maggie
- Korean: Han, Chae Eon
- Italian: Reti, Eleonora
- French: Baroin, Chantal
- Portuguese (BR): Valença, Carol
Reviews and Reception
Erza Scarlet is a skilled and determined wizard known for her exceptional combat abilities and a wide array of magical armor. She is portrayed as a strong and independent female character who is constantly fighting for her friends and standing up against injustice. Her versatility in battle and a strong sense of justice make her a relatable and inspiring character for many viewers.
However, like any character, Erza is not without criticism. Some viewers may find her overwhelming strength and seemingly unbeatable nature to be unrealistic, leading to a lack of tension or suspense in certain battles. Additionally, her extensive arsenal of armor and abilities may raise questions about the consistency of her power level and the potential for deus ex machina moments. Another critique revolves around Erza’s character development. While she possesses a strong personality and showcases moments of growth, her backstory, and personal struggles are not explored in as much depth as some other main characters in the series. This can make her feel less multidimensional and limit opportunities for further emotional depth.
Overall, Erza Scarlet is a beloved character in Fairy Tail, praised for her strength, determination, and fierce loyalty. However, she may face criticisms related to her overwhelming power, inconsistent power scaling, and limited character development. Nonetheless, she remains an integral part of the series and has garnered a significant fanbase.
- Food: Strawberry Cake
- Drinks: Alcohol
- Color: Red
- Armor: Heart Kreuz Armor
- Guild member:
- Novels: Romance Novels
Facts and Trivia
- Erza Scarlet’s character development in the Fairy Tail series took shape organically, as revealed by Hiro Mashima, the creator of the series. Many aspects of Erza’s character, such as her magic, and relationships with Natsu and Jellal, were not initially predetermined when she was first introduced.
- Erza’s determination and indomitable spirit have made her one of the most beloved and iconic characters in the Fairy Tail series, and she consistently ranks high in popularity polls among Fairy Tail characters, showcasing her widespread appeal among fans.
- Erza has appeared in crossover events with other popular anime series, such as the crossover episode with Rave Master, another manga series created by Hiro Mashima.
- The original concept for Fairy Tail was very different from the one that was eventually published. The entire events of the series up until the time Erza began having dreams of her past as a slave were meant to be the actual present, with the grown-up Erza and all her friends being a dream of the future. This concept was eventually discarded, but remnants of it can still be seen in the series, such as the appearance of butterflies in Erza’s dream. Butterflies are often used as symbols of dreams in Chinese culture, so their appearance in Erza’s dream may be a reference to the original concept for the series. These remnants offer a glimpse into what the series could have been, and they make the story even more interesting.
- A reader questioned the identity of Fairy Tail’s main female character during a Q&A in Volume 9. Erza assumed this right away, but Hiro Mashima remarked that each person should make their own judgments.
- Levy explains to Lucy in the Omake Welcome to Fairy Hills, that Erza enjoys reading books that are a little bit obscene or vulgar.
- Contrary to popular perception, Erza’s suitcases are really packed with food and ingredients rather than backup armor and weaponry.
- While Erza changes her Heart Kreuz Armour in the manga after the Tower of Heaven arc, she puts on the new design right away in the anime.