Minato Namikaze (湊 波風) was a Japanese fictional character, the fourth Hokage of Konoha, and a disciple of Jiraya of the Sanin in the Naruto series written and illustrated by Masashi Kishimoto.
Minato was born on January 25 (age 24). His Zodiac sign is Aquarius and his blood type is B. Minato began his ninja career by attending the Konoha academy and mastering the basic shinobi techniques. He then became the student of Master Jiraiya, one of the Legendary Sannin, who taught him advanced ninjutsu skills. Minato’s talent and dedication earned him the rank of Jonin, and he eventually became the leader of his own team of ninjas. He also played a crucial role in the Third Great Ninja War and is known for his incredible speed, earning him the nickname “Konoha’s Yellow Flash.”
Height (approx.): 5′ 10”
Weight (approx.): 66.1 kg
Hair Colour: Blonde
Eye Colour: Blue
Chakra Nature: Water Style
Physical Strength: 9/10
Emotional Strength: 10/10
Social Skills: 9/10
Minato was known for his humble and collected demeanor despite his reputation as a powerful ninja. He was highly perceptive, never doing anything without a reason. Minato was also respectful towards his opponents, even though he was aware of the fear his reputation instilled in them. Futhermore, Minato blamed himself for his death on various fronts, including his inability to save Obito from corruption, the difficulties that arose in Konoha after his demise, and his son Naruto’s painful life as a jinchūriki orphan.
Minato’s unwavering dedication to his village was exemplified by his willingness to make the ultimate sacrifice when the Nine-Tails attacked. Not only was he a great Hokage, but he also excelled in his role as a father and husband. Even in his final moments, despite being severely injured, Minato gave valuable life lessons to his newborn son which proves his love and commitment to his family even in the face of imminent death. His MBTI personality type is ENFJ and a person possessing this personality type fits in the protagonist role.
Parents & Siblings
The specific details of Minato’s parents are kept hidden in the series. Also, due to limited information about his early life, we do not know if he had siblings or not.
Wife & Children
Minato married Kushina Uzumaki, a kunoichi from Uzushiogakure and a former Jinchuriki of Nine-Tails.
Minato and Kushina gave birth to Naruto, who is the main protagoinst of the Naruto series.
Minato became a close friend of Kushina Uzumaki who was a transfer student in the Konoha’s ninja academy. During the initial days of Kushina in the academy, she was bullied by some boys for her red hair and Minato just watched it. However, when Kushina was kidnapped by some shinobis from the Hidden Cloud Village, Minato rescued her. This incident led to the pair growing closer, eventually falling in love and becoming a couple. Over time, their relationship deepened, and they eventually got married.
Jiraiya, also known as the “Toad Sage,” was a close friend and mentor to Minato Namikaze. Jiraiya trained Minato in various aspects of ninjutsu and played a significant role in his development as a shinobi. They shared a deep bond and mutual respect.
Kakashi Hatake, a renowned shinobi and later the Sixth Hokage, had great respect for Minato Namikaze. Kakashi regarded Minato as a skilled and wise leader, often seeking guidance from his teachings. They had a mentor-student relationship, with Minato serving as Kakashi’s sensei during his time as a genin.
Obito Uchiha, a former comrade and friend, fought alongside Minato during the Third Great Ninja War. Although their paths diverged, and Obito turned to the dark side, there was a strong bond between them in their earlier days as teammates.
Rin Nohara, a member of Team Minato, was a student and comrade of Minato Namikaze. They shared a close friendship and fought together as a team. Rin’s tragic fate deeply affected Minato and had a significant impact on his life.
Kurama, also known as the Nine-Tails, was a powerful-tailed beast sealed within Naruto Uzumaki. Minato formed a unique bond with Kurama, as he sealed half of the Nine-Tails’ chakra within himself during his battle against the masked man.
Minato Namikaze was the father of Naruto Uzumaki and shared a profound bond with his son. Although their time together was cut short due to Minato’s sacrifice, his love and belief in Naruto’s potential as the child of prophecy shaped Naruto’s growth and instilled in him the will to protect and unite the ninja world.
The Second Hokage, Tobirama Senju, was Minato’s predecessor as the leader of Konohagakure. Although their time as Hokage did not overlap, Minato held great respect for Tobirama’s leadership and the foundation he laid for the village. They participated together in the battlefield of the Fourth Great Ninja War to assist the Shinobi Alliance.
Hashirama Senju, the First Hokage and founder of Konohagakure, was a figure respected by Minato. As the creator of the village, Hashirama’s legacy and values deeply influenced Minato’s own leadership style and commitment to protecting the village. After being reanimated by Orochimaru, they fought alongside the Shinobi Alliance to put an end to Obito and Madara’s plan.
Hiruzen Sarutobi, known as the Third Hokage, served as a mentor and father figure to Minato. Hiruzen entrusted Minato with the position of Fourth Hokage and believed in his capabilities as a leader. Their relationship extended beyond mentorship, with Hiruzen considering Minato as a dear friend and ally.
Minato began his journey as a shinobi at Konoha’s ninja academy and quickly proved himself to be an exceptional student. Under the guidance of Master Jiraiya, he developed his skills and rose through the ranks to become a chūnin just one year after graduating. After seeing his exceptional ninja and leadership skills, Upper-ranked officials of Konoha appointed him as the Fourth Hokage of the village. At some point, he sacrifices himself for the sake of the village and his newly born son. However, he was brought back to life by Orochimaru using Edo Tensei. After being reanimated, he helps the Shinobi Alliance in the war against Madara and Obito. Minato proves to be a reliable comrade during this war.
Minato appears in episode 168 of Naruto Shippuden for the first time.
Minato debuted in Naruto manga with chapter no. 239.
Naruto Shippuden the Movie: The Lost Tower (2010)
Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie (2012)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 (2010)
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (2013)
Minato is featured in Naruto: Innocent Heart, Demonic Blood.
Minato appeared in Naruto Leaf Village Grand Sports Festival.
Toshiyuki Morikawa gave voice to Minato Namikaze in Japanese and Tony Oliver dubbed the English version of Minato in Naruto Shippuden. The names of the voice actors who became the voice of Minato in other languages are mentioned below.
Toshiyuki Morikawa, Miyu Irino
Won Hyeong Choi
Gauthier de Fauconval
Valerio Amoruso, Francesco Mei, Francesco Venditti
Although shinobi carry a variety of tools for different purposes, Minato was known for frequently utilizing kunai on the battlefield. Unlike other ninjas who use kunai for fatal blows or by attaching an explosion tag to it, Minato used them in a unique way. In the Naruto anime/manga, we can see Minato teleporting, which requires two kunai. This technique allows him to reach any location instantaneously and surprise the enemy with an attack. For his exceptional teleportation skill, he earned the nickname “Yellow Flash.”
Powers & Abilities
Minato Namikaze was known as a prodigy from a young age. As he grew, so did his abilities. Minato had developed excellent ninja skills which were enough to take down an army of 1000 shinobis. Here is a brief introduction to those jutsu which Minato utilized in his experience.
Shadow Clone Jutsu
Minato was proficient in using the Shadow Clone Jutsu, a technique that allows a ninja to create an identical copy of themselves using their chakra. These clones are intelligent and can perform various actions, including casting jutsu. Minato utilized Tobirama Senju’s Shadow Clone technique to enhance his attack strategy. He would include shadow clones in almost every jutsu he used, thereby increasing their potency and making it difficult for his enemies to distinguish the real Minato from his clones.
Eight Trigrams Sealing Jutsu
Minato learned the Eight Trigrams Sealing Style from his wife Kushina, who was one of the last surviving members of the Uzumaki clan. This fuinjutsu technique was originally created by the Uzumaki clan and was used to seal the Nine-Tailed Fox within a living jinchuriki. Minato utilized this technique to seal the Nine-Tailed Fox inside his newborn son Naruto, as he feared that the demon fox would destroy Konohagakure.
For summoning, a shinobi needs to make a blood contract with an animal which grants them the ability to summon it at will. The animal’s strength and size depend on the user’s power, strength, and chakra reserves. Minato learned the toad summoning technique from Jiraiya, his master, and could summon the powerful chief toad, Gamabunta, after signing the contract. Minato also entrusted Gerotora with the key to unlocking Naruto’s Eight Trigrams Seal.
The Rasengan jutsu is considered the pinnacle of shape transformation in which the user shapes their chakra into a ball and spins it, creating a high-density attack with a short range. Minato developed the Rasengan on his own after researching the Nine-Tail’s Tailed-Beast Bomb. It was one of his signature moves, and he eventually passed it down to his son, Naruto. Naruto then enhanced the technique by combining it with Wind Release, allowing the Rasengan to be thrown as a projectile and manipulated in other ways.
Flying Raijin is a jutsu of the Space-Time class, originally developed by Tobirama Senju, which allows its user to teleport instantly to any location marked with the technique’s formula. By mastering Tobirama’s jutsu, Minato gained the title of the world’s fastest shinobi. He used the Flying Raijin kunai to appear behind his enemies in a blink of an eye and take them down with ease. The technique enabled Minato to wipe out entire battlefields in an instant during his lifetime. When he was reanimated, he relied heavily on Flying Raijin to defeat formidable opponents like Madara and Obito Uchiha.
The Spiraling Flash Super Round Dance Howl Style Three is a jutsu that Minato created to augment the power of his Flying Raijin technique. To perform the jutsu, the user marks six kunai with the Flying Raijin formula and throws them in a wide circle. The user then teleports between the kunai at high speed, generating flashes of lightning that can throw back and singe any enemy caught within range. This technique proved devastating on the battlefield, allowing Minato to wipe out entire squads with a well-aimed set of kunai. By incorporating Shadow Clones, Minato could double the jutsu’s power and range, making it even more lethal.
Nine Tail Chakra Mode
Minato was able to access the Nine-Tails Chakra Mode, a transformation exclusive to those who have acquired some or all of Kurama’s chakra. He gained this ability by extracting half of the Nine-Tails’ chakra through the Reaper Death Seal. As a Reanimation, Minato utilized this form to enhance his abilities and assist the Allied Shinobi Alliance in their battle against Madara and Obito Uchiha.
Flying Raijin: Guiding Thunder
The Flying Raijin: Guiding Thunder is an advanced jutsu that requires expert proficiency in Space-Time techniques. It uses the same formula as the Flying Raijin technique to teleport any object that it comes into contact with, regardless of whether it’s a friend or foe’s jutsu. Minato employed this technique immediately upon arriving at the Fourth Shinobi World War, where he stopped the Ten-Tails’ Tailed-Beast Bomb from obliterating the Shinobi Alliance. Its ability to transport devastating attacks anywhere, even to highly-populated enemy villages, has cemented its status as the premier Space-Time and Barrier jutsu.
Battles & Duels
Minato participated in several battles and displayed his incredible abilities, which included his signature jutsu, Flying Raijin. Have a closer look at some of the most notable battles that Minato fought in, showcasing his remarkable skills and strategic thinking.
Minato Vs Raikage
In a battle against the third Raikage and Killer Bee, Minato’s mastery of teleportation techniques proved to be a game-changer. Despite the third Raikage’s lightning-fast speed, Minato was able to outmaneuver him using his Flying Raijin technique. Unfortunately, the battle did not come to a conclusive end, leaving the outcome of the fight up to speculation.
Minato Vs Obito Uchiha
When Naruto was born, a masked man abducted Kushina and extracted the Nine-Tailed Beast from her to destroy Konoha. Minato, unaware that the masked man was his student Obito, came into action to protect his family and village. He defeated Obito with a surprise attack using the Flying Raijin and also saved the village from the Nine-Tails. Tragically, Minato and his wife sacrificed their lives, but they were content knowing their son was safe.
Minato Vs Sage Obito
The moment Minato in re-animated form entered the battlefield of the Fourth Great Ninja War, he teleported Ten Tails’ Tailed Beast Bomb far away which saved the Allied Shinobi Force from immense damage. Later, Minato transforms into Nine-Tails Chakra Mode and helps Naruto and others defeat Sage Obito, contributing to the final victory.
The day Naruto was born, Obito attacked Konoha by releasing Kyuubi from Kushina’s body. However, Minato successfully defeats Obito and captures the Nine-Tails. But to seal the Tailed Beast, Minato used the Reaper Death Seal which demands the life of the user in return. Minato sealed away half of the Nine-Tails’ Chakra into his newly born son, Naruto, and the other half in himself. He sacrificed his life for the sake of the Village without any hesitation. Seeing how little time Minato gets to spend with his newly born son and the moment where all of the sufferings of Naruto begin left viewers and manga readers heartbroken.
Food: Kushina’s Homemade Cooking
Book: Tale of the Utterly Gutsy Shinobi
- Minato’s proficiency in the Flying Raijin jutsu was unrivaled, and he had taken the Second Hokage’s technique to the next level. When Tobirama Senju encountered Minato during the Fourth Great Ninja War, he acknowledged that Minato’s version of the jutsu was far superior to his own.
- Minato Namikaze was one of the youngest Hokage to have led Konohagakure, although his reign was brief. Despite this, he displayed intelligence and competence during his time as Hokage.
- Minato was revered as an exceptionally skilled ninja even in his youth. The Fourth Raikage of Kumogakure, Ay, regarded him as an unrivaled shinobi, describing him as gentle and unmatched in his abilities. Such testimonials prove that Minato was widely respected throughout the ninja world.
- Before discovering that Naruto Uzumaki was the Child of Prophecy, Jiraiya initially believed that Minato Namikaze was the prophesized individual.
- Minato Namikaze, famous as a master of various skills, showcased his proficiency in sensor arts during the Third Great Ninja War. He displayed the unique ability to detect the presence of enemies by merely placing his index finger on the ground, a feat matched only by Tobirama Senju. Furthermore, Minato demonstrated his exceptional talent by precisely counting the number of foes surrounding him and distinguishing them from their clones.
- Minato Namikaze possesses the ability to use three types of natural transformations: fire, wind, and lightning.
- Minato Namikaze sought training in Sage Mode on Mount Myoboku and surpassed his mentor, Jiraiya, in its mastery. Unlike Jiraiya, Minato could easily enter Sage Mode at will. However, he was unable to maintain it for long periods of time, as he admitted during his fight against Madara Uchiha in the Fourth Great Ninja War.
- In addition to his already impressive power, Minato Namikaze was also a Jinchuriki. Following the extraction of the Nine-Tails from his wife Kushina Uzumaki, he used the Reaper Death Seal to seal the Yin half of the beast within himself, becoming the third Jinchuriki of the Nine-Tails after Kushina and Mito Uzumaki.
- Minato Namikaze was also known by the names The Fourth Lord, Lord Fourth, The Fourth Hokage, Yellow Flash, Yellow Flash Of Konoha, and Konoha’s Hokage.
- Minato Namikaze was an incredibly active ninja, having completed a total of 847 missions in his lifetime. These missions included 122 D-rank missions, 147 C-rank missions, and 216 B-rank missions. In terms of difficult missions, Minato completed an impressive 313 A-rank missions and 86 S-rank missions. This shows that Minato was not only powerful but also had a great deal of experience and skill as a ninja.
- Minato Namikaze’s ambidexterity was showcased throughout the Naruto series, demonstrating his impressive skill. In battle, he seamlessly wielded a kunai and a Rasengan with both hands, a rare ability even among skilled ninjas. Additionally, he was observed using summoning jutsu with his left hand, indicating that he signed the summoning contract with that hand. These instances suggest that Minato was highly proficient with both hands, further highlighting his exceptional abilities.
- Minato Namikaze, with his vast knowledge and intelligence, was known to be an avid reader. In fact, his favorite book was a work authored by his teacher, the legendary Sannin named Jiraiya. This book was likely one of the reasons why Minato was able to learn and master so many techniques throughout his life. His love for reading and learning also contributed to his overall wisdom and made him an excellent leader.
- Minato Namikaze’s intelligence was evidenced by his record-breaking graduation score, which remained unsurpassed. In Itachi Shinden: Book of Bright Light, it is revealed that Minato Namikaze, Naruto’s father, had the highest score in the history of the Chūnin Exams.
- The name “Minato Namikaze” was chosen very deliberately by Masashi Kishimoto to reflect Minato’s character and abilities. The word “Minato” means “port” in Japanese, which represents Minato’s ability to connect people and places, and the word “Namikaze” means “wave and wind”, which reflects his incredible speed and agility. Additionally, the Hiraishin no Jutsu technique, which Minato is famous for, involves teleportation and movement at incredible speeds, further emphasizing the significance of his name.
- In the 4th Naruto movie titled “The Lost Tower”, Naruto and Captain Yamato time-traveled to the past, where they had an unexpected encounter with Minato Namikaze.
- Minato Namikaze indeed invented Rasengan, a powerful technique that involves creating a swirling ball of chakra in the palm of the user’s hand. But the idea for Rasengan came from the tailed beast’s Tailed Beast Ball technique, which is a powerful ball of chakra that can level mountains and cause widespread destruction.
- Originally, Masashi Kishimoto, the creator of Naruto, had not intended to give Minato a significant role in the story. However, when Kishimoto became a father himself, he gained a deeper understanding of the importance of the parent-child relationship. Thereafter, he decided to provide Naruto with a reunion with his parents.
- The Naruto series draws inspiration from various aspects of Japanese mythology, and the love story between Minato Namikaze and Kushina Uzumaki does have parallels to the myth of Yamata no Orochi. In the myth, Kushinadahime is a princess who is saved by and later weds the god Susanoo. While Susanoo’s name is associated with the Uchiha clan in Naruto, not Minato, there is a connection through Minato’s surname. “Namikaze” means “waves and wind,” and Susanoo is a higher power associated with the sea and storms.
- During the events of Naruto Shippūden the Movie: The Lost Tower, Minato gets the opportunity to visit the past and spend time with his son Naruto. However, being aware of the potential consequences of altering the timeline, Minato decides to use a jutsu known as the Memory Erasing Seal on everyone involved.
- One of Minato’s remarkable abilities is his proficiency in fuinjutsu, which refers to sealing techniques. Interestingly, Minato did not acquire this skill through his formal ninja training or from his instructors. Instead, he learned it from his beloved wife, Kushina. Kushina, who had the Nine-Tailed Fox sealed within her, belonged to the Uzumaki Clan, known for their expertise in sealing techniques.
- During a 2009 interview, Masashi Kishimoto expressed his interest in creating a spin-off series centered around a young version of Minato.
- In Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, during battles involving Kushina, she usually fights with an intense and aggressive attitude. However, when facing Minato, their dynamic takes a different turn. In the middle of her attack, she blushes and responds with a gentle slap instead.
- In the music video for the third opening of Naruto Shippuden, titled “Blue Bird” by Ikimono-gakari, a glimpse of Minato’s silhouette can be seen alongside Naruto, Sora (a pseudo-jinchuuriki), and the Nine-Tailed Fox. These characters share a connection through their association with the Nine-Tailed Fox, although Minato’s full backstory had not been revealed at that point in the series.
- In Naruto Shippūden the Movie: The Lost Tower, Minato’s chakra is portrayed as light green instead of the typical blue color.
- Hidden Leaf Village Grand Sports Festival! is an OVA released in 2004 that takes place during the early timeline of the first series. During the festival, Naruto searches for a bathroom in a hurry and passes by various characters, including a brief glimpse of Minato Namikaze.
- There have been discussions and speculation among fans about the initial concept for Naruto’s father in the series. Some suggest that Masashi Kishimoto initially intended to portray Naruto’s father as a dog.
- In the sixth character popularity poll, he secured the ninth position, while in the seventh poll, he was ranked at the seventh spot.
- In chapter 178 of the manga, an interesting artistic choice was made for the cover featuring Minato. The colors on his cloak were intentionally inverted.
- Before his battle with Pain, Jiraiya hinted at Minato’s intentions for sealing Kurama within Naruto. While the specific technique was not explicitly mentioned, it is speculated that Jiraiya was referring to the Tailed Beast Ball. This assumption arises from the fact that only a jinchūriki, like Naruto, has access to this technique. Additionally, Minato’s creation of the Rasengan, which was inspired by the Tailed Beast Ball, further supports this possibility.